UVB Questions

Eskigecko

So I am going to be a new tortoise owner quite soon, and I needed to ask a few questions about UVB that the Internet websites couldn't answer.
1. If a tortoise (getting a Hermann's) has access to sunlight for a couple hours a day almost everyday does he need a UVB?
2. If in appropriate temps when he's outside does he still need a heat lamp when he comes back inside?
3. At nighttime, are you supposed to leave the heat on and the UVB (if necessary)? My house gets to be 60's-70's (farenhiet) when It's night.
Thanks for any info, it's greatly appreciated!

Eskigecko

So I am going to be a new tortoise owner quite soon, and I needed to ask a few questions about UVB that the Internet websites couldn't answer.
1. If a tortoise (getting a Hermann's) has access to sunlight for a couple hours a day almost everyday does he need a UVB?
2. If in appropriate temps when he's outside does he still need a heat lamp when he comes back inside?
3. At nighttime, are you supposed to leave the heat on and the UVB (if necessary)? My house gets to be 60's-70's (farenhiet) when It's night.
Thanks for any info, it's greatly appreciated!
Oh and BTW I'M new to this site.. I probably posted this in the wrong place sorry

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Welcome aboard! I have had my Hermann's since February. So much to learn! :)

If your tortoise gets 2 hours of sun most days year round you would not need a UVB bulb.

But I live in one of the sunniest parts of the world and I will still need one since we have such a short summer...and for those times of extended periods of inclement weather.

You would still need a heat lamp for indoors to keep the temps up during the day time hours.

For a Hermann's you do not need night time heat (provided it doesn't go below 60 F.

Eskigecko

Welcome aboard! I have had my Hermann's since February. So much to learn! :)

If your tortoise gets 2 hours of sun most days year round you would not need a UVB bulb.

But I live in one of the sunniest parts of the world and I will still need one since we have such a short summer...and for those times of extended periods of inclement weather.

You would still need a heat lamp for indoors to keep the temps up during the day time hours.

For a Hermann's you do not need night time heat (provided it doesn't go below 60 F.
Thank you! Now I can have a nice healthy tortoise soon!

Reactions: Rue

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Please post pictures of your tort(s) once you get them.