uvb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My sully Morla is 225g and almost 11 months old. i just moved her into her new, bigger closed chamber enclosure with a mvb bulb. My only problem is again the mvb is too hot. i have a 60w che in there with her to keep the warm side 80ish but im thinking about not having any uvb light bulbs in there...she gets outside at least 4 times a week for 2-6 hours a day depending on the weather. I live in tampa bay, fl so if it is not raining shes outside. would it be ok for her to not have a uvb or should i add another fixture and get a tube uvb bulb

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Getting outside as much as you say, she does not need a uvb inside. Just add another CHE if needed. But I would just about guess you wouldn't need a second one. Just check temps with the one you have then add another if needed.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
i agree i dont think u need artifical UVB with how much your tortoise is going outside , if your worried that it isnt quit enough rather than use the MVB just use a vitamin D supplement with either low or medium levels of vitamin D
best one is rapashy superfood supercal loD or MeD , just because its the only one i have seen with specific levels of vitamin D for different situations
i use the supercal HyD on all my tortoises during the winter months along with as varied diet as i can possible give them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For my leopards I just use a regular 75 watt flood bulb from the hardware store. They get lots of sun like your sulcata does. My enclosure is only 2' tall and the smallest MVBs were too hot in this enclosure too. I also use CHEs for heat (on a thermostat), but it was a bit dark in there everywhere except directly under the basking bulb. I added a regular old 4' long "shop light" style florescent tube to brighten things up and it all works great. I don't think you "need" any more UV since yours gets so much natural direct sunshine, but more light in the inside enclosure won't hurt a thing.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you so much. It is a little dark so I think im going to go get a tube light and put it in there. She seems happy with the new set up so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.