Best UVB light to use for a baby sulcata

tracey.p

Location (City and/or State)
Wembley, London
I was just wondering if anyone knew of the best light to use for maximum amount of UVB? Since moving my babies into closed chamber style set-up's, I have switched from a wonderful mercury vapor bulb to a long fluorescent tube and a separate heat bulb. How much UVB should they be getting - bearing in mind outdoors is off limits at the moment as I live in London and it's freezing?? Crash has seemed to slump, although all temps are great, an asides from hatchling failure syndrome, could it be too little UVB??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracey:

I like the Mercury Vapor Bulbs for their heat and UVB. But with babies, I use a lot of plants in the enclosures to diffuse the strong lighting just a bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mercury Vapor bulbs run too hot for any of my large closed chambers. Mine are 4x8x2'. If your is bigger or in a cold area, it might work for you.

I use Arcadia 12% HO tubes. These produce a lot of UV so you have to mount them high enough. Only a good UV meter can tell you how far that is, but somewhere in the 18-24" range is probably good.

Inactivity is usually due to temps, not UV. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? Are you using any colored bulbs, like red, for example?

tracey.p

Wembley, London
I was using a red bulb - my cool side is high seventies to low eighties, the warm side, high eighties to low nineties, right under the lamp is high nineties, and night time temps of high seventies.