UVB Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

channy

5 Year Member
Hi there, im going to stay at my mums for a few days, and I was going to take Shelly (my tortoise) with me, I was going to transfer the heat bulb to a bendy lamp, thats not a problem but I was just wondering how long she would be able to go without the UVB light? She will be away from her home for 5 days? is that to long..?:(

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
It should be fine. Sometimes in nature, its cloudy or rainy for days and very little UVB gets through the clouds. Any permanent damage are caused by long term absence of UVB anyways. Have fun

chadk

10 Year Member!
careful transfer heat bulbs. not all lamps are designed to handle heat bulbs. So you have a fire hazard if you are not careful. A ceramic base should be there. And be sure the wattage matches. For example, you don't want to put a 100watt heat light in a lamp that is designed for a max 60 regular house light bulb...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They are fine for several weeks at a time. Is sunshine a possibility at Mums? That's the best and cheapest UVB there is!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
No UVB will be fine for that long, but do make sure you can get the same temperature gradient with only the heat bulb, and make sure the enclosure is safe (including the wattage rating for the fixture, that it has a ceramic socket, and other fire and climbing hazards). Have a good trip! Best wishes.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tom said:
They are fine for several weeks at a time. Is sunshine a possibility at Mums? That's the best and cheapest UVB there is!

Lookie there...a name change and he tries to sneak in and we're not supposed to know who it is!...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh...wow...I'lm really slow tonight. I thought it was Tom, because of the signature...but I had to think. Don't drink wine with supper...don't drink wine with supper..........

M

Maggie Cummings

It IS Tom! Remember...where ever he goes there he is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.