UVB lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I am new to the tortoise world (don't even have one yet, infact!) and have been confused by all of the different options for UVB lighting. Since almost all care sheets and websites agree that natural sunlight is far better than any type of uvb light bulb, I was wondering if I could attempt to get most of my tortoise's uvb lighting done naturally, even as a hatchling.

What I was thinking about, was setting up a smaller outdoor enclosure for my baby leopard tortoise, with a basking lamp and everything, that he can hang out in for a few hours every day when it's sunny.

I would still get an artificial UVB light source, for rainy days (quite literally). If I were to only use this light for let's say maybe 6 hours a week, will it still lose it's effectiveness at the same rate, or does that depend on how much the light is used?

I'm sure this sounds like a very stupid question, so please bear with me, haha.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, in my personal opinion....if you set up an outdoor sunning spot (with shade as well) then there is not a reason to set up lighting and all outdoors (if your outside temps are over 65° farenheit and not storming) as the sun will do all it needs to while your tort is outdoors....also, if you are not in a position yet to have your tort outdoors on a long term basis as long as you get your tort out in the natural sunlight a few times a week for about 30+ minutes then the requirement for uvb is not so imperative....you will want to make sure though to always have a heat lamp/fixture to allow your tort to regulate while indoors....

Hang round and get the others opinions and practiced and I am sure you will find what works for your tort...:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The temps for a baby leopard should never go below 80, with humidity 80% or above. Yes you could put him outside for sun/UVB. However, to be safe and keep him from getting sick, you should not put him out with temps under 80, or hang a CHE over the enclosure and attach that to a thermostat. Set the temp on the thermostat at 80-85 and this way the temps in the enclosure will not get below that. Check ou the threads at the bottom of my post. All of them are filled with great info leopards.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I use MVB they are much better, but the sun is the best thing for him :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As a fellow Nebraskan, there are only a few months a year we can reliably keep them outside- in fact, mine are not out even yet, but hopefully this weekend will change that!

If they can get good sunlight, even if for only a few hours a week over a few sessions, then you really don't need artificial light.

The challenge will come when it is too cold outdoors and you need a good indoor habitat that meets their needs. Some people have had good luck over the winter without having to add more UVB with the idea being that they get 'fully charged' over the summer. I don't know of any clinical studies that support that idea, but it seems to work for some... perhaps more for those with longer 'outside' times?

Status
Not open for further replies.