UVB Light Recommendation

SulcataMikey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So temps here recently dropped and I'm not sure I should be bringing our tortoise outside. So what do the pros recommend for indoor UVB lighting? I've heard that some can be bad for torts' eyes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
SulcataMikey said:
So temps here recently dropped and I'm not sure I should be bringing our tortoise outside. So what do the pros recommend for indoor UVB lighting? I've heard that some can be bad for torts' eyes. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
The coil type UVB lights are not good, and have caused serious eye issues for many types of reptiles. I am using the ZooMed Powersun Mercury Vapor Bulb. I also have a Solar Meter to monitor the actual bulb output. Once I see a 25% drop, I replace it. Arcadia also makes some awesome UVB bulbs.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
I do not have experience with the coil type UVB because everybody here on the forum said they are bad for reptiles. I bought the Zoo Med PowerSun UVB 100 Watt which provides UVA and UBV light. It actually also provides a lot of heat, so you can use it as a baskinglamp as well.

rachelk

5 Year Member
Do you have any recommendations on where to buy bulbs?
Also, this may be a silly question, but I have a huge full-spectrum light that I got to combat SAD. Will that provide enough UVB?

Thanks!
:tort:

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
I get my Repti-Sun and Zoomed PowerSun bulbs from Amazon, and my Arcadia bulbs from LightYourReptiles. What brand and style is your Full Spectrum bulb?

ekm5015

5 Year Member
Megaray UVB bulbs are by far the best out there. I have tested Powersun, Trex, and Megaray with my UVB meter and the other two just don't compare to Megaray. I never tested a Powersun or Trex that got over 100 microwatts, as opposed to the Megarays that get 250 to 300 Microwatts on all the bulbs I've ever had.

Only downside is it sometimes takes a while to get the bulbs and their customer service isnt the best. Don't try emailing them if you have an issue, call them and you should get a hold of them.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Go with the Zoomed Powersun MVB. You can get them anywhere, and if there's a problem you can get a replacement right away. Megaray is what you go with if you have time to wait and setup, and test, and refine... So if you need a solution ASAP, then Zoomed.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: UVB Light Recommendation

ekm5015 said:
Megaray UVB bulbs are by far the best out there. I have tested Powersun, Trex, and Megaray with my UVB meter and the other two just don't compare to Megaray. I never tested a Powersun or Trex that got over 100 microwatts, as opposed to the Megarays that get 250 to 300 Microwatts on all the bulbs I've ever had.

Only downside is it sometimes takes a while to get the bulbs and their customer service isnt the best. Don't try emailing them if you have an issue, call them and you should get a hold of them.

I agree. Megaray is the only MVB that produces adequate UVB output. (Each Mega ray is individually tested for UVB output prior to shipping.) Zoomed Power sun also deteriorates very fast in already low UVB output. After a month you may end up with as low as 15microwats, which is a very deep shade equivalent. Megaray MVB and Arcadia T5 HO 3D+ long tubes are the superior products. If your are on a budget Zoomed T5 HO tubes will do as well.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I ordered a Megaray about 10 or 12 weeks ago. I emailed a few weeks ago to prod them.
I had heard it could take a while. How long should I wait!? They took my money months ago (credit card charge)...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
AnnV said:
I ordered a Megaray about 10 or 12 weeks ago. I emailed a few weeks ago to prod them.
I had heard it could take a while. How long should I wait!? They took my money months ago (credit card charge)...

Did you receive a reply to your email? Calling them on the phone has always seemed to work better than email. If you didn't agree to a delayed shipment etc, I would make one more attempt to resolve it through them and then contact the credit card if you don't receive a reply.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
AnnV said:

I would definitely call them. In my experience, they suck at responding to email. It took me over a month to get my last order and when i called they told me what was going on with it. Like i said earlier, their customer service is not great, but the bulb is the best by far.