UVB levels for leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! First off I must apologize for not posting for a while, things have been hectic around here.

I have some questions about proper UVB levels for the kids. Right now we're using an Exoterra Solar Glo MVB that we bought when we started out back in June. Since then I've seen that they have some pretty poor reviews regarding the actual UBV output falling rapidly over time. I've decided to go with a Megaray MVB as a replacement since they seem to be pretty reliable (at least the beardie guys think so). However they have 2 different power levels on the 100w bulbs, one puts out 150-200 uW/cm2 UVB, and there's a low level version that emits 50-75 uW/cm2 UVB (both measured at 12" from the bulb).

What is the ideal level of UVB exposure for leopards? Do juveniles need more than adults? Will it cause bone or eye issues if I go with the higher emitting bulb and it's more than they need?

Thanks for the help,
-Devon

Leopardtort

5 Year Member
I wish someone had replied to this because I am curious myself. Did you happen to find out? Thanks
Kel

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Right now MegaRay is just starting to put out new bulbs. Of which have not been tested. So their UV outputs probably have changed.

An average sunny day in the summer (in the US) is anywhere between 150 uW/cm2 to 350 uW/cm2. Sometimes higher in very warm places (AZ, Cali, Florida etc).

Really any Mercury vapors above 50 uW/cm2 is sufficient because the tortoise should be basking for a while each day.

I know my 2 leopards will bask for 30mins to an hour in the morning, and then I feed them. After that, they bask again. And bask on and off all day. And bask after their 2nd feeding too.

Sadly the Solar Glo's are hit and miss. Some provide good UVB output (70 uW/cm2 or more) and some produce less than maybe 20-30. This is why they are cheaper.

PowerSuns are also known to not give as much UVB as they say.

Then you have the SunForce that supposedly has good output for a few weeks and then goes way down like the Solar Glo's can.

This website - http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm

It does very extensive testing and is supposed to be done by this month. But who knows if it's true.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I went ahead and ordered the higher output 100 watt Megaray, which should hopefully arrive soon (the new bulbs were on back order) and hopefully they have similar output to the old ones. I'll be eager to read the testing results on them, and I'll report any behavioral changes I observe. Right now they spend most of the day asleep in the corners of the basking area (it's usually just over 100 F in the center and 90-95 around the edges), I'll be interested to see if they stay out that much with this new one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No bulb is as good as sunlight. You ought to try to get them out as much as you can, especially since you live in one of the best places in the country for it. 20 minutes twice a week is a fine minimum, but more is better. I like an hour a day or so for babies. No big deal if you have to skip a day here or there. Sometimes I'll skip two or three weeks in the winter. Nothing wrong with using a MVB for when they are inside though.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I've got them close to the glass doors now (double paned no drafts) which are east facing so I can open the blinds before their light comes on for a natural-ish sunrise (haven't worked out sunset for this time of year yet). That way I can also just slide the door and blinds open and let the light come into their house without having to move them out of their habitat (it has wheels but this is easier than trying to roll the whole thing around). I just want to be sure they're getting the best environment I can give them as often as possible.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Badgemash said:
I've got them close to the glass doors now (double paned no drafts) which are east facing so I can open the blinds before their light comes on for a natural-ish sunrise (haven't worked out sunset for this time of year yet). That way I can also just slide the door and blinds open and let the light come into their house without having to move them out of their habitat (it has wheels but this is easier than trying to roll the whole thing around). I just want to be sure they're getting the best environment I can give them as often as possible.

Just remember, UVB is almost 100% blocked out by windows. If it's just for extra light, great!

Badgemash

5 Year Member
It's actually a sliding glass door, so whenever the outside temps are good I just slide it open and the light pours into their house, the rest of the time it's just for extra light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A typical screen will filter out a pretty large percentage too.

Not trying to hound you, just making sure you know...

BTW, I spent the the last three days in AZ and saw quite a few peoples torts and set-ups. I already liked AZ, but now I'm convinced that its the best place in America to raise torts. Even better than FL... and that's saying a lot. I always though Southern CA was pretty good. Not in comparison to the Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler area.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Whoa Tom, you've got to check out Hawaii. Its not mainland America and we have every climate known to man. On this island alone we have everything from rain forrest to high elevation pine forrest, from low level scrub to 10,000ft alpine, from 440+ inches of rain to less than 10inches, from beach to grass land, its all here and unless your living above 2000 feet you never have to bring your babcocki and sulcata types in. Aloha Nui Loa. Hawaii Nei

Badgemash

5 Year Member
@Tom, I usually open the screen since we're fairly high up (bugs don't usually fly in) and if it's a really nice day out we roll their whole house out onto the balcony

@onarock perfect! I'm still trying to convince the hubby that we should move to Hilo.

Status
Not open for further replies.