UVB bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
What's the difference between the fluorescent bulbs that you buy at the petstore for the UVB and the bulbs that you buy can buy at Target? Are they the same thing? Because I looked at the petstore and they want $19.99 for a 26 watt and Target wants $4.55 for one. Now I'm confused because they look the same to me. I know that some of you say you use the .5 or .10 in your hoods, what does that mean? Does it mean Wattage like on the bulbs at Target?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Give us some more information about the Target bulbs...brand name, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Candy said:
What's the difference between the fluorescent bulbs that you buy at the petstore for the UVB and the bulbs that you buy can buy at Target? Are they the same thing? Because I looked at the petstore and they want $19.99 for a 26 watt and Target wants $4.55 for one. Now I'm confused because they look the same to me. I know that some of you say you use the .5 or .10 in your hoods, what does that mean? Does it mean Wattage like on the bulbs at Target?

The 5.0 or 10.0 designation is a reference to the UV output of these bulbs. However, may I offer a different opinion? I've been keeping all manner of reptiles, including turtles and tortoises for thirty years. I've been doing it professionally since I was 14 in 1986. So, I'm not just making this up to be controversial. I've seen a lot of stuff.

I've never seen any benefit, other than lighting up your cage, to using the Flourescent UV bulbs. I don't believe they are of any help preventing MBD, whatsoever. I've had to bring back countless Iguanas, beardies, turtles and tortoises that were housed under the latest and greatest electrical UV apparatus. Its a way to separate an animal loving person from their money. I have found SOME benefit to the newer style mercury vapor lamps, but what should be emphasized is SUNSHINE!!!

SUNSHINE. Direct, unfiltered, outdoor sunshine. Its free. Its better. Its almost like magic. Most reptiles and all chelonians NEED it. The mercury vapor lamps and high dollar flourecsents are better than nothing to get people through the cold winters, but too many times, I've seen chelonians get sick, because people rely on their expensive lighting set-ups to get the UV job done. Please don't make this mistake. Look into buying or building a safe, appropriate, outdoor sunning pen for your turtle or tortoise. This is the best, easiest, cheapest way to keep them happy and healthy.

Some cautions for outdoor sunning: Always make sure some shade is available at ALL hours of the day. Never use glass aquariums or plastic tubs to sun your pets. You could easily cook them in these. Be SURE they are protected from predators, both wild and domestic.

Even 20 minutes of sunshine a couple of times a week makes a huge difference in the health of our beloved pets.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
This is a pretty bold statement.

While I constantly say UVB bulbs are not a necessity... they are definately beneficial.

The self ballasted mercury vapor lamps are the best but the flourestent tubs are also good.

Before these bulbs it was very difficult to keep certain reptiles alive if they did not have access to sunshine which would be difficult this time of the year.

Roachman26 said:
Candy said:

The 5.0 or 10.0 designation is a reference to the UV output of these bulbs. However, may I offer a different opinion? I've been keeping all manner of reptiles, including turtles and tortoises for thirty years. I've been doing it professionally since I was 14 in 1986. So, I'm not just making this up to be controversial. I've seen a lot of stuff.

I've never seen any benefit, other than lighting up your cage, to using the Flourescent UV bulbs. I don't believe they are of any help preventing MBD, whatsoever. I've had to bring back countless Iguanas, beardies, turtles and tortoises that were housed under the latest and greatest electrical UV apparatus. Its a way to separate an animal loving person from their money. I have found SOME benefit to the newer style mercury vapor lamps, but what should be emphasized is SUNSHINE!!!

SUNSHINE. Direct, unfiltered, outdoor sunshine. Its free. Its better. Its almost like magic. Most reptiles and all chelonians NEED it. The mercury vapor lamps and high dollar flourecsents are better than nothing to get people through the cold winters, but too many times, I've seen chelonians get sick, because people rely on their expensive lighting set-ups to get the UV job done. Please don't make this mistake. Look into buying or building a safe, appropriate, outdoor sunning pen for your turtle or tortoise. This is the best, easiest, cheapest way to keep them happy and healthy.

Some cautions for outdoor sunning: Always make sure some shade is available at ALL hours of the day. Never use glass aquariums or plastic tubs to sun your pets. You could easily cook them in these. Be SURE they are protected from predators, both wild and domestic.

Even 20 minutes of sunshine a couple of times a week makes a huge difference in the health of our beloved pets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those spiral bulbs caused quite a bit of eye problems when they first came out. They might be better now, but I still wouldn't trust them. Because of the way they're made, they concentrate the UV out the ends of the bulb and it is too strong for young eyes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said, the bulbs might have been improved upon since their original issue, however all of the spiral bulbs were at fault in the past.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Uh... those spiral bulbs you posted are NOT UV bulbs, just Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL). CFLs are just twisted fluorescent bulbs that can fit a standard socket.

To be a UV bulb, a fluorescent bulb needs a specialized coating inside the glass- a more expensive coating that is only needed by a few kinds of customers. UVs can come in straight bulbs or CFL formats.

A CFL UV bulb is a potential risk since it tends to shoot a beam of high UV light out the tip. This was supposedly corrected in some versions so may no longer be a problem.

(Not to complicate anything, but most fluorescent bulbs emit SOME UV light- the special bulbs just emit more of it.)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Madkins. You're truly are a world of information. So this is what Yvonne was talking about. I went out earlier today and bought Ruby a 13 watt 5.0 UVB bulb and that's what I'm going to be using on her. Dale has a 26 watt 5.0 UVB on him (don't ask me why) it's what the guy at the petstore gave us. Thanks again. ;)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
http://www.flippid.com/item/1001410760/Sunglow_10_0_Uvb_Coil_Compact_Fluor_Bulb

Madkins007 said:
Uh... those spiral bulbs you posted are NOT UV bulbs, just Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL). CFLs are just twisted fluorescent bulbs that can fit a standard socket.

To be a UV bulb, a fluorescent bulb needs a specialized coating inside the glass- a more expensive coating that is only needed by a few kinds of customers. UVs can come in straight bulbs or CFL formats.

A CFL UV bulb is a potential risk since it tends to shoot a beam of high UV light out the tip. This was supposedly corrected in some versions so may no longer be a problem.

(Not to complicate anything, but most fluorescent bulbs emit SOME UV light- the special bulbs just emit more of it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.