POWER SUN UVB/UVA BULB FACTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Does anyone know for a fact that these bulbs are no longer giving out good UVA/UVB after six months. They are suppose to give out for 2 years. Bulbs are guaranteed for 1 year. I am being told not to trust them after six months. I was also told that they are pricey because of their longer lasting UVB/UVA, over the older type/style bulbs.
Does anyone have a uv meter that they have tested these bulbs with? The best rated uv meter I could find is 250.00. Not buying that one. I would love to know the facts:D
Thank you

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Who told you to avoid them, and that they only put out for 6 months?

I only ask because the general consensus here when I joined was that they were better! And that it was the other brands (Exo-Terra, T-rex) that gave out after 6 months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have have some TRex bulbs that still work after four years. Of course, I'm pretty sure the UV output has dropped, but it still heats them up. I've had other bulbs that quit after a few weeks. This really seems pretty random to me. All brands and all wattages have been hit or miss for me over the years. Just save those receipts...

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
We use Powersun bulbs on the chameleons in all of our retail locations, and several stores that find they have groups of baby tortoises for more than a couple weeks typically have a designated "baby tortoise cage" that has a powersun mounted in it. I use them at home (granted, I don't have tortoises) for all of my diurnal animals, and so do most of the staff members. Maybe I can help with your questions about them... :)
I find that typical life for the bulbs is 12 to 18 months, with comparable UVB output to a 10.0 reptisun tube for at least 10 to 12 months. UVB output is also dependent on how far away the bulb is from the animal, if it is passing through a screen, and whether or not it is at an angle to the animal. I'm fortunate in that the stores keep a UVB meter on hand for sale and to use, so we can test bulbs regularly. Sometimes, bulbs burn out early, or don't quite look right (a yellowish hue to the light even after warming up for 20 minutes or more), and those you can contact ZooMed about and they will often replace. They make quite a few, so it's not unexpected that once in a while there'll be a bad bulb, and sometimes people may place a little too much importance on one bad bulb.
While they are a little pricier initially, for someone creating an initial setup the cost is comparable to the old method of using a tube fluorescent, a basking light, and the fixtures for both. I find animals housed under them tend to be more robust, with better colors (that part might be a little irrelevant for tortoises) and a better appetite than those housed under tube lighting. It's a bright, hot, white light that also emits UVB, making it about the closest thing you can get to the effect of sunlight indoors.

I hope that helps!

-Jen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let me make a correction to someone's misunderstanding. I was never told not to use them. I have two one for my tort. one for my Uro. I was told by several reptile owners, the breeder of my tort. a pet store where I buy some of my items from and the Internet, that they LAST upto 3 years. Not trying to say though, they are correct, just saying. Some of them had said the UVB/UVA last like LLLREPTILE had stated, although, I have also heard 2 years and the full 3 years. I don't have a meter to know for sure how long my bulbs uv has lasted. I have used them for several years with my bearded and now my Uro and leopard. I do know that the uv last longer than the florescence, from my many years with aquariums and my knowledge from working at an aquarium store. I will not be changing mine out before at least a year to a year and a half is up, unless they burn out. When summer comes, I won't be using it on a daily bases. I also will probably cut the time of it back on the days I can get Tatum out into the window green house.
Thank you for everyone's input. I think I have a better understanding about them and I hope everyone else does too.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I use them untill they burn out. just saying.
(My torts are outside for as long as I can let them , usually May/June till it starts to cool up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.