UVB bulbs

Marizna

Hello, my name is Marina. I'm not new to reptiles but I am new to tortoises. I don't have a tortoise yet, but I have been doing tons of research and I'm hoping to get a baby Sulcata soon. I've been using this site for information and to see what all I would be needing for my new baby. I do have a question that I couldn't find an answer for just by reading though. I know that a Mercury vapor bulb is the best and is the most recommended for uvb and heat. I also know that the spiral uvb bulbs will cause a sulcata some eye issues, but I was wondering if the long uvb tubes are okay? I will most likely be going with a Mercury vapor bulb because they last longer and are just more convenient, but I'm just curious if the tube lights are okay.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think they are better . Put uvb over more area with no heat . I use regular light bulbs from the hardware store for day time heat. Its way cheaper . With closed chambers the mvb lamps are to hot and drying . For night heat get a che on a thermostat.

Marizna

Thanks for the replies you guys! I can't wait to get all the stuff for the setup so I can finally get my baby! :)