Need info. on Mercury Vapor UVB bulb. Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
Are the mercury vapor uvb bulbs worth the money? I seem to go through a floresent one every 4-5 months then they burn out. At 40 bucks a bulb it seems like a no brainer to me. But i dont know if the MV cost a lot to run or what. If anyone can give me some advice or feed back it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never used any kind of UV lighting for many, many years. Then last year I started hearing all the hype about the MVB's, so I invested in two of them...the T-Rex Active/UV heat 100 watt bulbs. I noticed an increased activity with the two tubs I set the bulbs over. The turtles and tortoises started eating more and wandering the habitat more. So I was convinced that this is a good investment. Not many months later, T-Rex was pulled from the shelves and far as I know, they don't make them anymore. I have since bought a couple Zoo Med 100w Powersun MVBs and one of them quit working after only a couple months. The other is still going, but I liked the T-Rex better.

If you buy them online, you can get a better price, even including the shipping. We have a couple folks here on the forum who sell them, and even a sponsor who sells them. (Support our sponsors!! :D )

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Well, you'll need a ceramic fixture (about $10-12 at Walmart, Home Depot). 250watt fixture with a somewhat large dome is what you're looking for. Make sure it's a ceramic socket, not plastic.

This is pretty debatable. But you also have to take into account, even though the MVBs say they last a year, most do not put out sufficient UVB after 6-10 months (almost like the tubes).

They are definitely a good choice. Right now the only bulb I know of that doesn't have very low outputs for a MVB and doesn't have problems is the PowerSun.

MegaRay has new bulbs out, but they are un-tested. All the others like Solar Glo, SunForce etc have been known to have terrible outputs after just a few weeks of use.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Seiryu said:
MegaRay has new bulbs out, but they are un-tested. All the others like Solar Glo, SunForce etc have been known to have terrible outputs after just a few weeks of use.

Rob, where did you hear bad reviews on the Sunforce? I had tried one and it lasted 2 months then blew. I have since gone back to Powersun, but I am curious as to the performance others have had with the sunforce, it is significantly cheaper.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
jeffbens0n said:
Rob, where did you hear bad reviews on the Sunforce? I had tried one and it lasted 2 months then blew. I have since gone back to Powersun, but I am curious as to the performance others have had with the sunforce, it is significantly cheaper.

I have heard it from a few local friends, that also tried the bulb out because it was cheaper. One is a bearded dragon breeder. He bought 4. Two blew out within a month, and the other 2 after a few months, he noticed his beardeds slowing down significantly.

The other times I heard it were on beardeddragonforum.org - So I just never bothered to even try one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.