Arcadia light help

Viola B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have been reading all I can on this site about the Arcadia HO T5 12% light. Especially what Markw84 and Tom have written. I would like to say, thank you for sharing.
I would like to change my MVB bulb to an Arcadia HO T5 12%. What length to buy????? Does it matter?
I have a yr old Russian in an open enclosure, (which I water like a garden).
The enclosure is 6' by 3', going to 2', (like an L shape). We have built this enclosure so we can add on as she gets older.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Do any of these Arcadia lights cause eye problems? Do you leave them on all day? Do you need a day light bulb, also, like an led. Will that add too much bright light?
Will the tortoise need to wear sunglasses?

xMario

Germany
Do any of these Arcadia lights cause eye problems? Do you leave them on all day? Do you need a day light bulb, also, like an led. Will that add too much bright light?
Will the tortoise need to wear sunglasses?
I use the arcadia ho 12% desert for my sulcata and i have it on for 5 hours midday
U need to measure the output with a solarmeter 6.5

Depending on output u need to adjust the height and on time

Really the only way to be sure is the solarmeter 6.5 its expensive at first but it will safe u so much money in the long run

I think if u mount it too close it could cause problems yes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you need indoor UV, the best way to provide it is with any of the newer HO tubes. ZooMed makes on that can be mounted around 16-18", and Arcadia makes a 12% HO tube that should be mounted around 20" away. A UV meter is an indispensable tool in making sure your tortoise is getting enough UV, but not too much. I usually only run these bulbs for about 3 hours mid day. When used this way, I've got some over three years old and still making good UV. They are reliable and trouble free. Makes it easy.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not arm enough.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards. I like this thermostat: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller. Put the probe in the coolest corner away from all heating elements. Unless your house get unusually cold at night, you can skip this step for a Russian. Night lows above 60 require no night heat.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent. This can be set on the same timer as the basking bulb.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I use the arcadia ho 12% desert for my sulcata and i have it on for 5 hours midday
U need to measure the output with a solarmeter 6.5

Depending on output u need to adjust the height and on time

Really the only way to be sure is the solarmeter 6.5 its expensive at first but it will safe u so much money in the long run

I think if u mount it too close it could cause problems yes
Thank you. I ordered the solarmeter 6.5R and it just arrived. Yipee!

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
If you need indoor UV, the best way to provide it is with any of the newer HO tubes. ZooMed makes on that can be mounted around 16-18", and Arcadia makes a 12% HO tube that should be mounted around 20" away. A UV meter is an indispensable tool in making sure your tortoise is getting enough UV, but not too much. I usually only run these bulbs for about 3 hours mid day. When used this way, I've got some over three years old and still making good UV. They are reliable and trouble free. Makes it easy.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not arm enough.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards. I like this thermostat: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller. Put the probe in the coolest corner away from all heating elements. Unless your house get unusually cold at night, you can skip this step for a Russian. Night lows above 60 require no night heat.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent. This can be set on the same timer as the basking bulb.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.
Thank you. This information is so helpful. I have been taking my I yr old Russian outdoors to get some sunshine. She is in a kids pool with coco fir, some plants, water, and a hide. I sit and watch her, with my sunglasses on, for an hour, sometimes only 30 mins, but try for the 3 hrs a week. I just got the solarmeter this week. That meter is fascinating!! Yesterday when I took her outdoors the meter read 5.2 at 10 am. Today I took her out at 1 pm and it read 9. I sprayed the pool down before putting her in. After 15 mins today she went in the hide. We have part shade from a tree, also.
I live in a cold long winter climate and I am trying to get the indoor enclosure set up for that time. Up until this point I have been using a Mercury Vapor Bulb, but reading that it may not be so good. I want to up grade. I do very much appreciate you help. I have learned so much from folks like you that have so much experience. I am learning!

Reactions: Tom