UV Light through an open door and behaviour question.

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good Morning All,

1.) Just want to check the following: Can your tort still get the necessary UV light from the Sun shining through an open door? I know that UV cannot go through glass, but I am just wondering can it still reach the tort if they are in a patch of sun inside your house coming through your doorway (with no glass in the way)? I often soak my tort on my computer table which is near to my side sliding door. I put her soaking bowl in the patch of sun coming through the door onto the table.

2.) Second question: Yesterday I put my baby in the garden for a little extra exercise and some sun. But whenever she went into a patch of sand she would act as if she was doing the breast stroke and also wiggle her bum in the sand. I thought this was quite strange. Cute but strange. Would I be correct in thinking that it is actually her displaying insecurity?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
HI Carol - Yes - sunlight coming directly through an open door (not through glass or a screen or bouncing off a bunch of stuff) will contain the full spectrum including UVB.

Most turtles / tortoises wiggle their but at some point. Some when rained on, some seem to scratch themselves in the dirt or on a rock/water dish, etc... My radiated tortoises do it quite often, but will nearly always do it if I scratch the back of their carapace.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
HI Carol - Yes - sunlight coming directly through an open door (not through glass or a screen or bouncing off a bunch of stuff) will contain the full spectrum including UVB.

Most turtles / tortoises wiggle their but at some point. Some when rained on, some seem to scratch themselves in the dirt or on a rock/water dish, etc... My radiated tortoises do it quite often, but will nearly always do it if I scratch the back of their carapace.
Thank you Dan. Good to know.