UV in a large enclosure

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
I'm extending the enclosure for my 4 baby Cherryheads, it will be L shaped and 2 storeys, not an additional floor half way up it will be equivalent to two vivariums stacked. Annoyingly this means, I think, that I need 4 of everything - heat sources, thermostats, thermometers, lights, and so on....

Trying to save money where I can as the estimate is already around £900 for the extension (around $1300), I'm wondering if I need a UV source in each section. Now I can't say where they will spend the most time, and knowing my luck each will pick one of the 4 sections just to be awkward, and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to save money at the expense of their health. If they need the UV to be in each section then I will buy an additional 3 tubes and controllers, I'm just wondering if that's necessary.

Any thoughts?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm extending the enclosure for my 4 baby Cherryheads, it will be L shaped and 2 storeys, not an additional floor half way up it will be equivalent to two vivariums stacked. Annoyingly this means, I think, that I need 4 of everything - heat sources, thermostats, thermometers, lights, and so on....

Trying to save money where I can as the estimate is already around £900 for the extension (around $1300), I'm wondering if I need a UV source in each section. Now I can't say where they will spend the most time, and knowing my luck each will pick one of the 4 sections just to be awkward, and I don't want to seem like I'm trying to save money at the expense of their health. If they need the UV to be in each section then I will buy an additional 3 tubes and controllers, I'm just wondering if that's necessary.

Any thoughts?
If you put your uv tube above the feeding area they will have to go under the uv to feed.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think the opposite is true; I think it's important to have areas of the enclosure where they can get out of the UV. I would do 1 or possibly even 2 areas with UV in conjunction with whatever heat source you're using for the basking zone.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Thanks for the advice, feeding area is a good idea, I wasn't planning a basking area as they are Cherryheads, I know some provide them for Redfoots though so maybe I should. Certainly have the space and it gives them the option I guess. Feeding will be on the top floor so I could have the other end up top with a basking lamp and then have two UV tunes up there.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for the advice, feeding area is a good idea, I wasn't planning a basking area as they are Cherryheads, I know some provide them for Redfoots though so maybe I should. Certainly have the space and it gives them the option I guess. Feeding will be on the top floor so I could have the other end up top with a basking lamp and then have two UV tunes up there.

Personally I'd only have one tube. You can always add more later if you feel it's necessary.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
That's easy then, I have one in already! Been reading a lot on UV, quite a lot of mixed messages about it aren't there.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
I have a 2' T8 tube with a reflector behind it, rated 5.0 'whatever' the rating is for UV.

It's the only light in the vivarium, I don't really like fluorescent lighting, if I had to use it I'd prefer T5 tubes, I've always found they flicker yes from my fish keeping days, maybe it's just me though.