UV Exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngguns

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I'm a new Greek tortoise (Barley) owner and have a question about UV light exposure and heating.
Currently I have combo dome lamp (Lamp) with a 75W red, heating? bulb and a 5.0 UVB light bulb. I also have a heating pad (Pad) on the bottom of the tank located directly below the the lights.

How long should I have either of the lights on? When should I have these lights on? I imagine too much UV exposure is harmful just as it is in humans? I'm aware that I should allow Barley fun in the sun, but it's still pretty cold (~40F) here in Maryland. What is a good temperature to start bringing him outside?

Thanks for all help, any addition information is appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Young guns and welcome to the forum!!

I don't like using a red light during the day time because it causes the substrate to look like something to eat (to the tortoise). What kind of bulb is the UV bulb...one of those spiral bulbs? Those have been known to cause eye problems in reptiles.

The heat mat is ok if its under the tank on the outside. Then you can pile up or scrape away substrate until you achieve the desired temp in the habitat. But really, a heat pad in the house isn't necessary.

Is your greek tortoise a baby?

Youngguns

5 Year Member
Hello, and thanks for the reply :]

Yes, it is one of the spiral CFLs :/ What do you recommend in replacement? Oh, and Barley isn't a baby, but I'm not quite sure how old he is. He's about six inches in length and his shell is in fine shape.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would have to agree with powersun by zoo med, I have tried everything over the years. Its pretty important as far as development goes

Youngguns

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Had a nice day today and got him outside in the sun; he loved it. Too bad snow is on the way :/

Status
Not open for further replies.