Use a Refill Dog Water Bowl?

Megin34

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota, FL
So, my 3 guys are outside. I have 2 large dish like holders for their water so they can get in and soak / play around - but here in Florida, they dry up within a day or two.
That means, if I ever leave my house for longer than that, they won't have water (obv. I would have someone come over and check on them if I'm gone for a few days)
I use the bottom of a pot holder .. it is shallow enough that they can get in and out easily

I was thinking of getting one of those dog water bowls that has a tank on top that self-fills as it runs low??
But the base isn't going to be wide enough for them to soak in.. yet, at lest they would have drinking water

Would this be a really bad idea to keep outside (plastic probably won't do well in the sun creating mold / mildew)
Any ideas on how to keep enough water down to last 4-5 days at a time?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Since you are in Florida, do you happen to have built-in in-ground sprinklers? They can easily be configured to fill sunken water troughs. Have them on a regular timing and you have auto watering.

If you look on YouTube, there are all kinds of DIY 5 gallon bucket “dog waterer” arrangements. A bit of McGivering, and you are good to go.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So, my 3 guys are outside. I have 2 large dish like holders for their water so they can get in and soak / play around - but here in Florida, they dry up within a day or two.
That means, if I ever leave my house for longer than that, they won't have water (obv. I would have someone come over and check on them if I'm gone for a few days)
I use the bottom of a pot holder .. it is shallow enough that they can get in and out easily

I was thinking of getting one of those dog water bowls that has a tank on top that self-fills as it runs low??
But the base isn't going to be wide enough for them to soak in.. yet, at lest they would have drinking water

Would this be a really bad idea to keep outside (plastic probably won't do well in the sun creating mold / mildew)
Any ideas on how to keep enough water down to last 4-5 days at a time?
In your humid climate, and even in my dry climate, there is no adult of any species of tortoise that can't occasionally go a week or two with no water and be totally fine. Soak before you leave, and soak when you get back.

Or just have a friend refill them.

You can also leave out some opuntia cactus pads for them to eat in your absence. These are loaded with water and will keep them hydrated too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used the waterer you are talking about. The only problem is you have to attach it some how so they don't knock it over because they will. I stopped using them because I could get my leopards to stop knocking them over.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have pvc pipes. But you can use a hose mounted above the water source. Then just by turning on the water valve (remotely) you can blast out the crud that has accumulated and replace it with fresh water every day.
I also broom sweep them once every 2 weeks.
You can see how it works on my YOUTUBE video "REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE"
And
"FLORIDA EASY REDFOOT PEN" this video had narrating.
In them I mention heat lamps in my night houses.
They are now both 60 watt CHEs.

Last edited: