Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, its always a good idea to keep a sick tortoise in a separate (or hospital) habitat until they're well, however, your tortoise doesn't have a disease that will continue to be contagious after he's not showing symptoms. He'll be fine with other tortoises in the future. Unless a vet is a tortoise keeper, they just don't have the time or inclination to keep up on all the research done on turtles and tortoises. When they treat mostly cats and dogs, that's where they spend their research time. That's why its such a good idea to find a reptile or tortoise vet who actually has tortoise experience.

I hope we all have put your mind at ease about your tortoise. Keep us informed about his well-being.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the info and help!
I believe the vet actually has a CDT herself, but that by far does not compare to some of the knowledgable keepers on here.:p

Yes, of course, he will continue to be kept separate until healthy and no symptoms are shown.

Will keep you posted!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Annieski said:
My Morty[Sulcata] had a URTI when he was about 1 year old. We had come back from a vacation in NC[he was outside 12 hours/day and in at night] It was about 8 days after our return to NJ[this trip was in the middle of July] that I noticed the "first" bubble. After three days of the bubbles increasing--went to Vet. He was X-Rayed and lung fields were very clear. Nothing else changed--eating,pee,poop---all the same. As a precaution--Vet started Baytril[I crushed it into powder and put on small amout of applesauce] By the 3rd day Morty stopped eating[amout of bubbles stayed the same] Back to Vet--Now we moved to Fortaz injections[Morty not a happy camper with those needles and I couldn't give them by mysel] 1 injection every 3rd day for 2 week duration. When all was said and done it took about 1 full month for Mortimer to be himself again. Just recently[about 4 months ago] saw a bubble again and not wanting to go through the same ordeal for him or me, I increased the temps from 90 degrees to 95/97 during the day, wet down his food abit more than reg., and made his hide abit warmer so there was less of a difference. After 10 days both of us were back to "normal". I also removed substrate for sleeping quarters and replaced with a baby quilt[left over from my 2 human babies]

Thanks for sharing this. This strategy has always worked well for me in the past too. With all sorts of reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.