Need some advice for my 5yr old African Sulcata tortoise

Aimee Vasile

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson Arizona
Hi 👋 there! Can someone please tell me if this is shell rot? I guess I'm going to be posting another message bc I don't think I can attach multiple photos. If you know what this is or how to treat it please let me know. You can email me at [email protected], IDK if I'll receive any notifications from here. Thank you in advance, I really have no experience with tortoises. My friend left him with me after her partner was murdered and she doesn't have anywhere to keep him safely. I also have 2 1yr old African Sulcata tortoises that she left with me so I'm worried about anything contagious. My husband and I have learned everything by Googling, YouTube and other educational information available. Your help is very much appreciated 🙏
IMG_20231101_134534281.jpg

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hi 👋 there! Can someone please tell me if this is shell rot? I guess I'm going to be posting another message bc I don't think I can attach multiple photos. If you know what this is or how to treat it please let me know. You can email me at [email protected], IDK if I'll receive any notifications from here. Thank you in advance, I really have no experience with tortoises. My friend left him with me after her partner was murdered and she doesn't have anywhere to keep him safely. I also have 2 1yr old African Sulcata tortoises that she left with me so I'm worried about anything contagious. My husband and I have learned everything by Googling, YouTube and other educational information available. Your help is very much appreciated 🙏
View attachment 363052
I wish I could help, but I'm new. I appreciate you taking them in. Very sad story.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It is not shell rot. The whiter areas around the borders of the scutes are new growth. The areas do look a little dry. you could probably put the tortoise in a warm water bath and gently brush the white off with a soft toothbrush.

Another idea would be to gently rub some coconut oil into the shell with a soft rag to help moisten it.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree that it is not shell rot.

Please give this a read. It will explain a lot for you:

Aimee Vasile

Tucson Arizona
It is not shell rot. The whiter areas around the borders of the scutes are new growth. The areas do look a little dry. you could probably put the tortoise in a warm water bath and gently brush the white off with a soft toothbrush.

Another idea would be to gently rub some coconut oil into the shell with a soft rag to help moisten it.

Good luck!
Thank you! 🙏

Aimee Vasile

Tucson Arizona

Good luck!
Thank you 🙏