Uromastyx

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Thinking of getting one in the near future but I'm wondering if feeding them weeds (like the ones a russian tort eats) as a primary food source is a good idea? I read that they eats dandelions, mallow, clover, and other weeds.
Of course I'll still feed the required seeds and veggies. I was just thinking that in the wild where they come from they might have better luck finding weeds than veggies like bok choy and the like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as it's on there okay to feed list, go for it. Mine mostly likes dark grocery greens and dried beans and bird seeds

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
As long as it's on there okay to feed list, go for it. Mine mostly likes dark grocery greens and dried beans and bird seeds
Cool!
Another question, can they climb rock walls and escape an enclosure if it is only partly covered?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not if they can't reach the opening from the rock walls. Remember though, they need enclosure length more then height. They are more prone to be on the bottom then to want to climb. Not that they won't climb things though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The things you mentioned would be great food items.

In my experience they can climb as well as any other lizard. I wouldn't house them with out a lid unless the sides were slick like in a stock tank or something.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Ok, I'll make a full cover for it. The enclosure I have is 6 ft x 3 ft.
I'll probably wait til we have a reptile expo in town next year so lots of time to do research.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The things you mentioned would be great food items.

In my experience they can climb as well as any other lizard. I wouldn't house them with out a lid unless the sides were slick like in a stock tank or something.
They can climb stuff, they can't climb glass. If they can't reach the opening, they won't be able to get out. Unless mine is an odd ball.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, I'll make a full cover for it. The enclosure I have is 6 ft x 3 ft.
I'll probably wait til we have a reptile expo in town next year so lots of time to do research.

Do yourself a favor and call or email Doug Dix. http://www.deerfernfarms.com

I know Doug personally. He's a great guy. Very responsible and trustworthy and he knows Uros like no one else. He is the only guy I would call if I were in the market for a Uro.

I bought a couple of Northern Blue Tongue skinks from him, and I could not have been more satisfied with the transaction. We talked for half an hour about all the various Uros and all the good and bad points.

He's also a TTPG member and I see him every year at the conference in Phoenix.

You'll be glad you did business with him when its all said and done.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Do yourself a favor and call or email Doug Dix. http://www.deerfernfarms.com

I know Doug personally. He's a great guy. Very responsible and trustworthy and he knows Uros like no one else. He is the only guy I would call if I were in the market for a Uro.

I bought a couple of Northern Blue Tongue skinks from him, and I could not have been more satisfied with the transaction. We talked for half an hour about all the various Uros and all the good and bad points.

He's also a TTPG member and I see him every year at the conference in Phoenix.

You'll be glad you did business with him when its all said and done.
I read the care sheet from the deer fern farms website. Seems to be the best care sheet out there, very thorough.
Any of you house uros outdoors during spring or summer in a planted enclosure? What if they had a heated burrow?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read the care sheet from the deer fern farms website. Seems to be the best care sheet out there, very thorough.
Any of you house uros outdoors during spring or summer in a planted enclosure? What if they had a heated burrow?

I don't have any now, but I used to have outdoor enclosures for mine in years past. An underground dugout burrow will allow them to escape the hot summer sun when they want to.