Urgent - Baby Hermans Throws up / Weak

EmmaE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
My baby Hermans/Dalmation started the day by throwing up a mouth-sized lump of undigested food. She's been weak and lethargic all day. Mostly sleeping now, but not hidden or buried. just on the surface near the basking spot, but in the shade.
I soaked her for about 10 minutes in warm water earlier, and I moved her from directly near the basking lamp to a slightly more shady spot.
What else can I do? Any ideas?

Thanks

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
So it sounds like impaction but its slightly different so i don't know how to deal with it. This morning my dalmatian hermanns tortoise vomited and then looked miserable all day. then she drank some water and pooped 2 times. then we gave her more water and she was okay for a bit but went into a fit of stretching her neck, wiping her face, and gagging after that. then that ended and every time she moved her mouth (not sure what she was doing) she made a quacking noise. then the noise stopped, she drank more water, a lot more water. and she went to bed.

if anyone has any ideas what this is please please let me know and tell me how to fix it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Need more info. Temps, humidity, substrate, diet. Is there any discharge from nose? Do eyes look clear? Without knowing enough info, I would do a warm soak ever day. Raise the temps up by about 5 degrees, to 85 and try to look in her mouth to see if anything is stuck in there.

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
temps (degrees F)
daytime ambient: around 75
basking area: 90
nighttime ambient: 65-70

humidity:
air:50
substrate: 60

substrate:
coconut coir (will be replaced tomorrow by topsoil because i think she has been eating it)

diet: very varied. mazuiri 2 times a week, different plant other days (fed in the morning each day and snacks later) dandelion, carrots, grape ivy, clover, globe thistle, thyme, garlic mustard, bishops weed.

her eyes and nose are clear.
and she is only 3 months old so its going to be tough to see but ill try.

i find the fact that she vomited and gagged very odd because most just say their tortoise hasn't pooped but she pooped twice after vomiting and then gagged after all that. if you have any ideas why this is let me know! I'm very worried and want to do everything i can to help her live

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
also the humidities seem low but i keep the substrate very moist and run a humidifier morning and night along with spraying the tank every morning and night

if anyone thinks i need it higher though please let me know how i can do that! open to suggestions if this tortoise survives

jorg

5 Year Member
Correct me if i'm wrong but a tortoise that throws up could be a sign of worms. I had once a radiated tortoise that throwed up small dark Worms, before he was also streching his neck and his eyes where swolen.

Digger&Blinky

Oh dear sounds awfull all i can sugest you might have to look on the internet for a diet list maybe the food your feeding him is bad. Is their and weed killer or pesticides if you got them from the garden. Thr best thing you can do is take him to the tortie vets.

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
okay they have found out its pinworms and very severe. I'm making a new post about it