Urates

TortNZ

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Hi
I know urate is normal in tortoises but in the four months I’ve had my tort I only seen her have urates 3 times and it was a tiny amount but the last two days it is quite a lot.
I used to give her calcium daily (did not see urate) and after advise on this forum I reduced it to twice a week. She gets still soaked daily (20-30min) and drinks.

So my question is if she still gets hydrated and gets less calcium why do I now see urates twice in a row and a lot? Pix attached ( second pix after it has dried) .
Thanks A

Attachments

• 17FF7074-2823-41B5-AE2D-C484F2B735D6.jpeg
    17FF7074-2823-41B5-AE2D-C484F2B735D6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • D82660FC-8179-4487-82A1-27ABB71FE669.jpeg
    D82660FC-8179-4487-82A1-27ABB71FE669.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

mads3732

Harrington
I know that my tourtise usually urates when hes getting his soaks. I'm not suprised you didnt find much in his actual enclosure. Hes probally just doing it when he is in his bath :)

KronksMom

Illinois
I don't have any answers to the questions you actually asked, but what I can say is that the urates in those pictures look good. Not too thick or gritty or anything. I would not be worried by those urates :)

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
What's interesting is that I hardly see ANY urates in my Kinixys, and I wonder why. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw any sign of urates in their feces.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What's interesting is that I hardly see ANY urates in my Kinixys, and I wonder why. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw any sign of urates in their feces.
I have well hydrated sulcata here's the last mess of urates one left...037.JPG
038.JPG
naturally their water is dried out and used...urates is whats left...my sis can explain it better...@Yvonne

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First thing to understand is that calcium has nothing to do with urates. Urates are the product of protein digestion. If the tortoise has increased its protein intake, you'll tend to see more urates forming. Has the tortoise been eating clover lately? Broadleaf plantain? A new pelleted supplement? Alfalfa?

TortNZ

Christchurch
First thing to understand is that calcium has nothing to do with urates. Urates are the product of protein digestion. If the tortoise has increased its protein intake, you'll tend to see more urates forming. Has the tortoise been eating clover lately? Broadleaf plantain? A new pelleted supplement? Alfalfa?
Hi Tom
No she has not. ?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It depends which list you look at. There are a ton of lists, and they all vary.

I googled "greens high in protein". I picked this list because it includes the most items that we would most likely feed our torts if we bought grocery store items.

There are also fruits that have some protein, but I certainly hope no one is feeding enough fruit that it would make a significant difference.

TortNZ

Christchurch
Hi
Thanks so much for all your advise. My tort did not have any urate for the last three days but she just had a wee with a little urate. This urate looked more clumpy and was gritty. Not sure if it was my eyes but it looked like it had a little pink tint?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Keep her hydrated. Soak at least daily for 30 min or longer. Offer wet foods--cucumber, cactus pads, lettuces. Spritz her food with water when you feed her.

Keep an eye on that pink tint. If it continues or looks red, I think it would be time for an x-ray to see what's going on.

TortNZ

Christchurch
Keep her hydrated. Soak at least daily for 30 min or longer. Offer wet foods--cucumber, cactus pads, lettuces. Spritz her food with water when you feed her.

Keep an eye on that pink tint. If it continues or looks red, I think it would be time for an x-ray to see what's going on.
Hi
I soak her daily and she drinks occasionally. I don’t think she is dehydrated.The only difference is I have given her boiled pumpkin twice and Pak Choy three times. Just as a treat. She gets calcium twice a week plus Nutrobal supplement from Vetark. That is gritty maybe it’s to much? Any other suggestions?