Urates

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Leopard tortoises If hydrated pass clear urates correct? Or are there loads of other factors?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple nice groups of leopard tortoises. . . have had for many years. So far in all this time, I've never seen urates with the leopards.

Destben

Kansas
I have a couple nice groups of leopard tortoises. . . have had for many years. So far in all this time, I've never seen urates with the leopards.
I just had a full blown argument with someone who says that leopard torts should have white urates and basically implied that mine is broken. I'm fuming right now but i stood my ground and eventually got her to admit that leopards do produce clear urates. but she wont admit that it is a hydration thing. she says it has to do with the humidity not how much water your tort gets.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well she would seem to be somewhat correct. Urates are coming out one way or another. I well hydrated tortoise will have enough water to spare to get them out more or less clear. Humidity will reduce the burden of water loss through respiration. Where the line is I have no idea. I gotta say, I've never paid too much attention, but I agree with Yvonne, I don't recall ever see any white or even thick urine come out of a leopard tortoise. I'll pay better attention until I forget to.

Destben

Kansas
Well she would seem to be somewhat correct. Urates are coming out one way or another. I well hydrated tortoise will have enough water to spare to get them out more or less clear. Humidity will reduce the burden of water loss through respiration. Where the line is I have no idea. I gotta say, I've never paid too much attention, but I agree with Yvonne, I don't recall ever see any white or even thick urine come out of a leopard tortoise. I'll pay better attention until I forget to.
See that makes more sense. she couldn't even explain how humidity correlated with it and was very adamant that my tort is an anomaly.