question about urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Anyone knows why radiated tortoises don't pass any urates?
What's the scientific explanation? Most of reptiles pass urates, what's so special with their metabolism?

I've also read that radiated don't lay eggs unless they are fertile. If they are not fertile, their body will just absorb the eggs, very interesting...

Yang

samstar

5 Year Member
hmmm interesting, never knew they dont pass urates. Actually I'm not sure if I have seen mine pass urates.

NealH

10 Year Member!
Hmmm...I don't think I've ever seen mine pass urates.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
cueboy007 said:
I've also read that radiated don't lay eggs unless they are fertile. If they are not fertile, their body will just absorb the eggs, very interesting...

Yang,
This part is untrue. Radiated tortoises will lay unfertile eggs. Fertility is an issue in many collections, at least in the USA.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Several tortoise genera pass urea instead of or in addition to urates. I don't know if this is the case in radiata but Manouria are one of those that dispose of nitrogenous waste as urea...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HLogic said:
Several tortoise genera pass urea instead of or in addition to urates. I don't know if this is the case in radiata but Manouria are one of those that dispose of nitrogenous waste as urea...

I think Aldabs do to. I've never seen urates in their pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.