Urates. Urine or something else?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My two largest Redfoot females sometimes have something that looks like mucous on the bottom of their shells near the rear of their bodies.
It is almost clear and seems to be odorless, though I really haven't got my nose near any of it.
I've seen urine. But never urates from any of my Redfoot. Is that what this is?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi I was told that RFs don't make urates, my 2 babies always just pee buckets of liquid. As for mucous, since they are female maybe it has to do with their reproductive cycle? But then I'm still ignorant about torts' health, so I'll wait for others to chime in

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
SOMETIMES mucous means flagellates, a type of parasites that are microscopic.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SOMETIMES mucous means flagellates, a type of parasites that are microscopic.
Really?
I'll look to see if it is chronic.
Then maybe another vet check.
It's Queen Bertha and her sister Ruby. Mostly with Ruby. Maybe it's only Ruby as they live together now.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My two largest Redfoot females sometimes have something that looks like mucous on the bottom of their shells near the rear of their bodies.
It is almost clear and seems to be odorless, though I really haven't got my nose near any of it.
I've seen urine. But never urates from any of my Redfoot. Is that what this is?
2 of my females had mucous in their urine, within 3 wks they laid eggs. They are OK now. I also have another female going through the same thing. Do they seem to be restless, drinking a lot and low appetite?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I haven't had any eggs in years.
Fingers crossed for you. Look for change In habits. One of my cherryheads is going to lay soon. I've caught her digging 4 times now. She's gone off her food and paces around constantly. Drinking a lot and the last 4 nights she slept in the bathing area which is unusual. Out of the other 2 one swelled up and was agitated for a while then she went really subdued for a week, I got worried about her and was on the verge of a vet call, but thankfully she laid some eggs.
The other got nasty and was starting to ram everything, including us, both peed mucous.
This cherry though, she keeps digging in the shallow areas, soon as she hits the bottom she moves on and lays in the water. I keep putting her in the 2 deep boxes I have but she just climbs out :(. We will see what happens. Been about 2 wks now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
At least two of my females mated with that Pedro whom I no longer own and at least three have been seen mating with number 1. My sole male. So I'm kind of amazed at the lack of eggs.
Like I said, I'm adding soil mounds to my big pen and to the satellite pen that houses the two older girls.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
At least two of my females mated with that Pedro whom I no longer own and at least three have been seen mating with number 1. My sole male. So I'm kind of amazed at the lack of eggs.
Like I said, I'm adding soil mounds to my big pen and to the satellite pen that houses the two older girls.
Perhaps you'll be welcoming some RF babies in 2016