Urates

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello everyone. When I got my tortoise 3 months ago, he was passing urates almost daily. They were like dried hard little mini BB's in the beginning, then they transitioned to like a super gritty toothpaste, to finally the healthy rates that you all describe. But for the last month, he has not passed any urates at all. He's peeing every day, sometimes in his soak and a lot on his food dish. His urine is usually yellow, but lately it's been almost clear. Is it bad that he's not passing any urates?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hello everyone. When I got my tortoise 3 months ago, he was passing urates almost daily. They were like dried hard little mini BB's in the beginning, then they transitioned to like a super gritty toothpaste, to finally the healthy rates that you all describe. But for the last month, he has not passed any urates at all. He's peeing every day, sometimes in his soak and a lot on his food dish. His urine is usually yellow, but lately it's been almost clear. Is it bad that he's not passing any urates?
No urates is a sign your tort is fully hydrated.
My 4month old sulcata has never passed urates. Totally ok

Jay Bagley

Michigan
No urates is a sign your tort is fully hydrated.
My 4month old sulcata has never passed urates. Totally ok
That is good news. I knew they were supposed to be kind of like toothpaste, but I didn't know what the frequency should be. Thank you Bambam, that is very reassuring to know.