upstate new york's uv

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well everybody just wanted to say that I wasted my time and money into building pens and taking the time to put our torts outside J/K :D
Just wanted to ask even though we live in a nice country side of NY and I just checked the weatherchannel.com with my zip code 13827 you will see that the sun's uv is so low and the torts are not really getting any good stuff. I might as well keep them indoor a bit more to get something from t-rex bulbs? Honest I really don't know anything much about mircowaves or watts? (sorry not sure what it's called).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
derekdehaas said:
well everybody just wanted to say that I wasted my time and money into building pens and taking the time to put our torts outside J/K :D
Just wanted to ask even though we live in a nice country side of NY and I just checked the weatherchannel.com with my zip code 13827 you will see that the sun's uv is so low and the torts are not really getting any good stuff. I might as well keep them indoor a bit more to get something from t-rex bulbs? Honest I really don't know anything much about mircowaves or watts? (sorry not sure what it's called).

I don't think its ever a waste of time to build outdoor pens. No matter how light your UV rays are, the torts still benefit from being outside. It hard on them (mentally) to be cooped up indoors all the time. If you don't think they'll get enough UV from the sun, you can always set your T-rex bulb to shine on them outdoors!

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I live in Rochester NY, and believe me I am no "UV Expert", but people still get skin cancer in NY, as well as sun burn! There must be enough of something bad for us and good for the torts.
We also have a frequent forum member from Oswego (Oswego Tort Lover) that has many torts, maybe he can advise. His BIO shows he has over 40 torts of many species. The Oswego sun can't be that bad or he would not be so sucessful. You can search for him on the member list and send him a personal message. Please keep me in the loop as I am interested as well.
Could it also be that at this time of the year, the sun is so far away, that the UV is less. Maybe it will be much better for both summer months here in upstate NY.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys and gals. I feel better for my torts now and I was going to keep them outside anyway for half of the day everyday (unless it rains).

Status
Not open for further replies.