Hello from Upstate New York!

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Greetings! I've been a long-time lurker (for years, as I've always loved tortoises but never had the resources to keep them) on the forum, but especially in the past couple months as I've been in the process of adopting a little Russian from a dog rescue run by a lovely woman who did her best to care for the tortoise, though she really had her hands full with dogs and had no previous tortoise experience or knowledge. We (my partner and I) just brought the lovely tort home this past Saturday, and we already love her so, so much! She's currently in a 54gal Rubbermaid (~2'x4') with a 50/50 cypress bark/coco coir mix for substrate (~5-6in deep for burrowing!). That's definitely too small, of course, and it's temporary. I'm in the process of locating the right furniture item to repurpose as a tortoise table, and I'll definitely be looking for input!

She's supposedly 3-4 years old, though it seems somewhat unlikely considering we know almost nothing of her past... But she has a significant amount of new growth between some of her scutes, so it could be the case! I'm thinking that's more common in young torts than older, no?

She just had her first wellness exam today, and with the exception of some old pitted lesions on both her plastron and carapace (they're stable now, but likely from shell rot she had when she was younger). She was passed around from person to person who didn't care for her... At her last home before she was dropped at the rescue (a *dog* rescue, no less!), she was fed nothing but carrots and only had a plain incandescent bulb hanging above her enclosure. She got very weak and lethargic, but with a couple months of an improved (though by no means perfect) diet and semi-correct lighting, she eats well and is fiesty as hell! And we're so, so happy to have her in her forever home. :) That said, I have many questions when it comes to building a suitable enclosure with everything she'll need!

Anyway, since I finally have a tortoise, I felt it was time to join the forum officially!! Meet Jezebel (pics are from before I added coco coir to the enclosure--she looooves to burrow!): ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465501472.364779.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465501497.826097.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465501611.633278.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465501654.190134.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465501708.198037.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465502246.587089.jpg

Nicole M

5 Year Member
(An addendum: I see that her tail is long, but it's also fat and her vent seems to be puckered? I say "she/her" mainly because that's what I got used to leading up to the adoption--before I got the chance to check her out in person! Regardless, the sex doesn't really matter, as I have no plans to house her in the same enclosure as another tort or use her for breeding purposes!)

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, you have a lovely cute tortoise and you can tell she is going to be well looked after:tort:
Thank you! I'm so, so happy to finally have a tortoise, and I want to do everything I can to give her a good life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

It's time (past time, really) to get that beak trimmed. It's so long that it's starting to grow out in front instead of down (like a duck bill). Once that happens (the duck bill thing) it's very hard to get the beak back into the correct shape. So get started on it now. Very important!

Your Russian tortoise is almost full grown. Much older than you were told.

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum!

It's time (past time, really) to get that beak trimmed. It's so long that it's starting to grow out in front instead of down (like a duck bill). Once that happens (the duck bill thing) it's very hard to get the beak back into the correct shape. So get started on it now. Very important!

I figured she was older, considering the wear on the shell. Considering the care she was getting previously, she's almost certainly a WC tort bought on a whim from a pet shop, and I know those tortoises tend to be older.

Oh jeez, I didn't think her beak looked long... Bad pictures, or truly long? Here's a different shot: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465520977.832620.jpg
If it is overgrown, is there something I can do to work on it at home, or is this something a vet will have to do? She just had a vet visit today, and they didn't catch it (not saying you're wrong, of course! just that I'd like to avoid going back, but I certainly will if I must).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I figured she was older, considering the wear on the shell. Considering the care she was getting previously, she's almost certainly a WC tort bought on a whim from a pet shop, and I know those tortoises tend to be older.

Oh jeez, I didn't think her beak looked long... Bad pictures, or truly long? Here's a different shot: View attachment 176877
If it is overgrown, is there something I can do to work on it at home, or is this something a vet will have to do? She just had a vet visit today, and they didn't catch it (not saying you're wrong, of course! just that I'd like to avoid going back, but I certainly will if I must).
Yes start putting the food on a slate or tile .

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Yes start putting the food on a slate or tile .
Welcome to the Forum!

I actually do feed on slate! But I only just got the tortoise... Is it advanced to the point that I should look into filing or trimming the beak? There's no one around to my knowledge who provides that service, so my only option would be to do that myself.