Updated Redfoot Enclosure

ArtemisRedFoot

Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
Updated my redfoot enclosure after advice from the forum. Pretty happy with the result :)
Got an animal plastics 2' by 4' enclosure.
What a change in the humidity and heat! Artemis seems happy with it.
Next steps: LED light strip, live plant, potentially covering bottom portion of glass.

enclosure 1.jpegenclosure 3.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Updated my redfoot enclosure after advice from the forum. Pretty happy with the result :)
Next steps: LED light strip, live plant, potentially covering bottom portion of glass.

View attachment 364007View attachment 364009
I see nothing that alarms me in those photos. And believe me. That's unusual.
I think you are doing very well.
Is your temperature between 80 and 90?. (Nearer to 80) Is your humidity over 70%?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH

View attachment 364007View attachment 364009
Don't forget to check the Temps in the hides

ArtemisRedFoot

Rhode Island
I see nothing that alarms me in those photos. And believe me. That's unusual.
I think you are doing very well.
Is your temperature between 80 and 90?. (Nearer to 80) Is your humidity over 70%?
Hi,Thank you!!
My temperature is set with a thermometer around 80 and my humidity is over 70 (fluctuates between 70 and 75%). I'm hoping adding a plant will help with the humidity even more. I've been pouring water in the corners once to twice a day.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi,Thank you!!
My temperature is set with a thermometer around 80 and my humidity is over 70 (fluctuates between 70 and 75%). I'm hoping adding a plant will help with the humidity even more. I've been pouring water in the corners once to twice a day.
This enclosure has vents, if you close them, this might boost the humidity

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hi,Thank you!!
Close up the vents in the sides and back wall. The enclosure is not air tight even with the vents closed off, so no worries the tort will run out of air. That will help bring up and maintain humidity and heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi,Thank you!!
It should be more like once or twice a week.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If the humidity starts to drop off again try stirring up the substrate bottom to top there's probably a lot of water on the bottom of the enclosure.
Excellent idea. Because if the substrate isn't absorbing all of the water, there might be areas of stagnant water and mold

ArtemisRedFoot

Rhode Island
I've started to get mold in the enclosure. Primarily on the driftwood and wood pieces. I haven't added more water since humidity is averaging at 86%. Should I just remove the wood pieces and place rocks or something instead? I also have cypress mulch mixed with coconut coir on one side of the enclosure, should I replace this with coconut coir by itself? Otherwise is it just matter of spot cleaning?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I've started to get mold in the enclosure. Primarily on the driftwood and wood pieces. I haven't added more water since humidity is averaging at 86%. Should I just remove the wood pieces and place rocks or something instead? I also have cypress mulch mixed with coconut coir on one side of the enclosure, should I replace this with coconut coir by itself? Otherwise is it just matter of spot cleaning?
It would be best to just replace it with orchid bark of the fir tree type or with reptibark. I have not had any mold issues with my enclosure since I put the reptibark in it. Months ago.

ArtemisRedFoot

Rhode Island
It would be best to just replace it with orchid bark of the fir tree type or with reptibark. I have not had any mold issues with my enclosure since I put the reptibark in it. Months ago.
Ok, good to know. I removed the other ones for now. I'll look into either of those types. Thanks for your help!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Any wooden stuff molds within couple of weeks. Coco coir - sometimes gets mold too. Especially in the colder parts of the enclosure, where condensate builds up.

Suprisingly, cypress mulch - doesn't mold. Orchid bark works fine too.

Don't go overzealous with stones to avoid scratching damage to plastron. For "enrichment" you can make hills and pits with substrate.