Update on Anna

Joseph K

5 Year Member
Thanks again to everyone who pitched in, gave advice, offered words of wisdom, etc, for Anna Karenina, my five-year-old pride and joy. Last time we checked in, Anna was exhibiting sneezing/coughing sounds that my vet said might be a sign of something bad--even life threatening. The vet came last week, and thank God, it isn't. Life-threatening.

He checked Anna's vital signs, listened to her little heart, her even littler lungs, and took a look at her nose and mouth. I like him. The vet is thorough and seems to know his stuff. He thinks she *might* have a bacterial infection, so he prescribed Ceftazimide, which I give to her by injection once every two days. Anna also tested positive to intestinal parasites, so we're giving her banana-flavored liquid Metronid every 12 hours.

Anna is alive and well and will live for eternity if it's possible, tho I will say that these meds are TERRIBLY difficult to administer. The injection is terrifying for me--what if I hurt little Anna? How would I even know? What if I'm pushing too hard? Not hard enough? And the oral Metronid is just a nightmare; she hates the taste and gets the willies every time I walk up to her with the dropper in hand. He's got a knife! A gun! It's also difficult because Anna won't just open her mouth and swallow on command; she has to be coaxed into it while eating. So she clearly feels tricked, duped, and deceived.

But as I write this Anna's eyes are clearer than ever. She's got more energy than I've ever seen. And I have this feeling that when the treatments are over she'll be like a steroidal sprinter all ready for the 2016 Olympics. Super Anna!

Anna Karenina's just a terrific girl with a great bedside manner and sense of humor. I'd marry her if she wasn't a red-foot tortoise. Actually, don't tell my girlfriend that; nothing makes her more sore than when I anthropomorphize Anna like that. Usually it's as a child, not a wife. "You spend more time with Anna than you'll probably spend with our own child." The future tense hath less wrath I suppose.

But Anna's doing great, and I'm getting to know her better every day. It seems both comforting and insane to say it like that. Insane because, if a tortoise could talk, we probably wouldn't understand what she says. But it's comforting because she can count on me to know when she gets hungry, when she gets tired, and (now) when she needs her shot and her liquid parasite meds.

It seems to me that our torts probably couldn't hack it in the "wild." But then again, neither could we. We, too, were raised in captivity, but our enclosures are not made of glass; they are society and religion and the law. When thought about like that, it doesn't quite seem fair to ask whether our torts would survive (or be better off) in their natural habitats. The question doesn't really even make sense. They're with us now. We are their sacred canopies; they are our little friends to look after and love.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I'm glad she is recovering.

I fully understand your terror of giving the injection yourself. I felt the same when I had to do it to Joe.

It was amusing watching Joe trying to walk on 3 legs straight after I had done it though... it was like he was trying to hide the leg so it couldn't be grabbed again! As soon as he thought we weren't watching, he walked normally.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
So glad it's nothing serious! I completely recommend ORAL antibiotics next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, though). I remember when Bean was getting pretty friendly with RIs way back when and the injections horrified me. If the tort is still eating, go with oral antibiotics. SO easy to administer, just wait for them to take a bite of their favorite food and stick the syringe in their mouth. Takes seconds, is painless, the worst side-effect mine got was diarrhea.

Oh, and a funny "ugh, what was THAT?" face right before going back to eating. :D

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Also, your pure love for her made me smile. :D

Have you considered "romantic" poetry? Just don't tell your readers the poems are about a tortoise. (jk)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Glad she is doing better. I have no tips on making the meds go down any easier other than maybe trying to bride her with her favorite treats when you need to poke or prod her. I used to hide my really big really angry iguanas tranquilizers in tiny raspberry jam and peanut butter collared green wraps. And if I was giving him shots as a baby I let him stick his whole face in the baby food jar.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
You do love your Anna, don't you? It is obvious in the way you write about her. Love it! So glad to hear she's getting over her ailment.

Joseph K

5 Year Member
I do love my Anna. And I don't know *why* I love her so much; I just do. I think what I love most is that she makes absolutely no apologies for what she does or who she is. She refuses to be rushed; she goes to the bathroom when and where she pleases; and when she's outside she's completely impervious to the social *scene* she's making. It wouldn't matter to her if she was alone or was a celebrity; she lives entirely in the moment. She is completely un-self-conscious. And that's rare!