Unwarranted Aggression

emilylw16

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
I have a Hermann's tortoise that has been with me for about 4 years now. I am unsure of the gender (bought it off of someone keeping it in very poor conditions) but am assuming male. He lives alone in a large area but is constantly climbing the walls. No matter how much enrichment I provide, he/she keeps doing it. And I often let him roam in a safe area outside of his enclosure and as soon as he is placed down, he scrambles towards me to bite me wherever he can reach. I read this could be pent-up sexual aggression? Can anyone confirm or deny?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have a Hermann's tortoise that has been with me for about 4 years now. I am unsure of the gender (bought it off of someone keeping it in very poor conditions) but am assuming male. He lives alone in a large area but is constantly climbing the walls. No matter how much enrichment I provide, he/she keeps doing it. And I often let him roam in a safe area outside of his enclosure and as soon as he is placed down, he scrambles towards me to bite me wherever he can reach. I read this could be pent-up sexual aggression? Can anyone confirm or deny?
I believe you very probably have a male tortoise and that he is showing territorial behavior. IE, he wants you out of his territory.

emilylw16

Ontario
I believe you very probably have a male tortoise and that he is showing territorial behavior. IE, he wants you out of his territory.
Would that be why he climbs the walls too? Cause he does that even when no one is in the room. Any suggestions on what to do?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
By letting him out to walk around outside his enclosure, you've unfortunately taught him that there is a fun place to go, and he's trying to get there. Add to that trying to find a girlfriend...sounds fairly frustrating to me.

Try putting a rock or an appropriately sized toy, maybe a small ball, or an old shoe...something not quite as big as him...into his enclosure with him. He may hate it and turn his aggression to it. If he's completely freaked out, take it away and try something else.

This other reaction is the one you want...he falls in love with it and mates with it. If that happens, he should settle down a bit for you.

emilylw16

Ontario
By letting him out to walk around outside his enclosure, you've unfortunately taught him that there is a fun place to go, and he's trying to get there. Add to that trying to find a girlfriend...sounds fairly frustrating to me.

Try putting a rock or an appropriately sized toy, maybe a small ball, or an old shoe...something not quite as big as him...into his enclosure with him. He may hate it and turn his aggression to it. If he's completely freaked out, take it away and try something else.

This other reaction is the one you want...he falls in love with it and mates with it. If that happens, he should settle down a bit for you.
Ok, will try that out! Thanks for the help!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He is telling you he's the BOSS, and your in his territory lol.