Unusual Object in Stool

SamK

Hello Everyone,

Today, Sam my Sulcata Tortoise went to the bathroom as usual, but I noticed an unusual object in his stool (image shown below). They look like some sort of seed, but I'm not sure what they are. His diet is highly regulated and I haven't fed him any fruit or vegetable that would yield an object like this. It's also the Winter months here in Utah so he hasn't been outside in 2 or 3 weeks, which allows me to rule out him ingesting these while grazing and roaming around the yard. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's obviously been eating something you didn't feed him. Cut one of them open and let us see the inside.

They might have been too big to pass easily and they've stayed inside longer, like from when he was outside.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Like Yvonne was telling you, things do not always pass quickly through a tortoise. I was gifted with a tortoise who had been rescued and who apparently had lived on gravel/rocks/perhaps tar too. I found them even in soaks three months later.

SamK

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help. Sam went to the bathroom again yesterday and there were no "seeds" present. He seems to be happy and his behavior is normal so I'm just going to assume it was a something he ate outside while grazing a few weeks back. @Yvonne G - Unfortunately I flushed them down the toilet, before cutting one open, but if I see more I'll be sure to do that. Also, there is no deadly nightshade around here so i think it's safe to rule that out. Thanks again everyone.

Mark