Help: worried about my russian tortoise's behaviour

Geng

5 Year Member
For the past 2 weeks my Russian tortoise has slowed down considerably. By that I mean:

- Not eating
- Staying in his hide whole day long sleeping
- Not coming out to bask

When I come home from work (which is around 9 pm) I wake him up for a 30 min warm soak. Normally he would try to climb out after 15 min, but now he just stays still and staring in front of him. I hand feed him dandelions after his soaks (luckily he eats a bit) but he would hurry back to his hide right after. He would stay there untill he get him out for a soak the next day.

I don't think he is trying to hibernate. The temps are:

- Basking: 100F
- Warm:80 - 90 F
- Cool: a bit under 70F

Also his lamps (2x 80W MVB which one has lost its UVB output) would stay on from 6.30 am till 9 pm (basically the period I'm away for work).

Some info:

- Enclosure see pic
- Diet is mainly store bought: spring mix, endive, escarole, and because spring/summer is nearing he also eats dandelions and sow thistles.
- Last visit to the vet was last year August. Reason: tortoise showing same behaviour as right now, but back then he was trying to hibernate (parents only let his lamps burn for 6 hours a day when I was on holiday for 2 weeks). However, the vet gave him injections anyway (turned out to be baytrill), which made my tortoise even worse (he even puked at one point). I though the injections were slowly killing him, but after lots of soaks, warmer temps and hand feeding dandelions he slowly bumped up and became active again.
- 2 weeks ago I gave my tortoise some Lesser Celandine. He seemed to like it alot, but a member told me those are toxic for tortoises. Not sure if this has caused him trouble.
- Giving away my tortoise to a local Tortoise Vet/Center (where give away tortoise gets a new and better home) has been spooking my mind for a while. Reason is that they can give my tortoise a better home and care, and I'm very insecure if I'm doing my best for my little buddy. However, in his current state I don't want to give hime away and not look back. I want him to get better first before I consider.

Guys, my worries for my tortoise is slowly killing me. Really could use some help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-20-23-06-15.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-20-23-06-15.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 58

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there a water dish in the enclosure 24/7 cause there needs too be. The enclosure needs to be much bigger for an adult Russian, 4x8 feet minimum.
90 for a warm side is too high. Get it to 75-80. Is she staying where it's cooler?
Make the changes, specially to the temps and see how things go. Hold off on the vet visit until you give the lower temps a try for a week or two. If she seems better then work on enlarging the enclosure.
Your not a bad tortoise owner. Your learning and concerned and want the best for her. That's a good owner.

Geng

5 Year Member
Is there a water dish in the enclosure 24/7 cause there needs too be. The enclosure needs to be much bigger for an adult Russian, 4x8 feet minimum.
90 for a warm side is too high. Get it to 75-80. Is she staying where it's cooler?
Make the changes, specially to the temps and see how things go. Hold off on the vet visit until you give the lower temps a try for a week or two. If she seems better then work on enlarging the enclosure.
Your not a bad tortoise owner. Your learning and concerned and want the best for her. That's a good owner.

Thanks for the reply!

Are the temps and enclosure size really the problem? I know my tortoise would prefer a bigger enclosure, but could the enclosure size also affect his behaviour and appitite?

Also, I let my tortoise roam outside when the weather was nice and warm last week. He was very active and looking alive when he was outside! He ran around the garden and ate everything what I gave him, especially dandelions.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for the reply!

Are the temps and enclosure size really the problem? I know my tortoise would prefer a bigger enclosure, but could the enclosure size also affect his behaviour and appitite?

Also, I let my tortoise roam outside when the weather was nice and warm last week. He was very active and looking alive when he was outside! He ran around the garden and ate everything what I gave him, especially dandelions.

Yes, the enclosure size is definitely a problem. It might not be causing this, though.
Tortoises roam miles in the wild in search of food and shelter. They need to be able to walk large distances to properly digest food, exercise, and develop muscles and bones properly. Your tortoise might survive in an enclosure that small, but it definitely won’t thrive, and it is harmful to both it’s physical and “mental” health to be in an enclosure that’s too small.