Too Much Mazuri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Dante has been ill (Hermann section - Unknown Infection) and he is not eating well at all. We have the entire produce section in our fridge, but he has decided to eat ONLY Mazuri, which he has NEVER shown interest in. He doesn't even want red sticks, which he chowed down on last week.

My question - Could it negatively impact him and his unstable health to temporarily only eat Mazuri (I know it has a lot of protein)? He is on 3 weeks of antibiotics and recently went through de-worming, so I imagine his tummy is unhappy. Therefore, I'm happy just to get him to eat something. I'm spraying a vitamin supplement on the Mazuri (also looking into getting probiotics).

Thanks!! :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I don't have an answer but will bump you to the top of the list so you can get some help..good luck

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would say that if he hasn't been eating well, then Mazuri is the best thing he could be eating. I would, if I were you mix it with chopped up greens though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For a temporary thing, no just feeding Mazuri is fine. Right now, with his being sick, I would let him eat anything he wants to eat, in this case Mazuri. There are folks who feed nothing but Mazuri and indicate their animals are fine, so go for it now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe its addressed on the other thread, but have you found and corrected the CAUSE of his lack of appetite?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Thanks everyone! I'm glad he's not inadvertently making himself worse by being super picky. I'm more than happy to let him eat what he wants right now!

Hey Tom - Yes, he went through de-worming recently and currently has an infection that he's on anti-biotics for. Enough to make anyone's tummy upset! :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Pokeymeg said:
Dante has been ill (Hermann section - Unknown Infection) and he is not eating well at all. We have the entire produce section in our fridge, but he has decided to eat ONLY Mazuri, which he has NEVER shown interest in. He doesn't even want red sticks, which he chowed down on last week.

My question - Could it negatively impact him and his unstable health to temporarily only eat Mazuri (I know it has a lot of protein)? He is on 3 weeks of antibiotics and recently went through de-worming, so I imagine his tummy is unhappy. Therefore, I'm happy just to get him to eat something. I'm spraying a vitamin supplement on the Mazuri (also looking into getting probiotics).

Thanks!! :)

Mazuri alone should not cause a problem, especially if it is only for a while. You should also not need additional vitamins with it.

You may want to add small amounts of 'fresh' stuff, especially things he usually finds tasty, or things with some red or yellow color in them to attract his attention- but for right now, don't worry much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.