Unbelievably pissed

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
I just went to my incubator and it was cold as a refrigerator.

Our city has been losing power back to back. And it must've shorted it out. Was beeping weird, turned it off for a bit. Turned it on thinking everything was fine. I check the eggs today and their ice cold. Maybe in the 40s I was too upset to check and candles the eggs.

I have no clue if box turtle eggs can bounce back from these conditions.

Just icing to the cake of how rough my years been.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I'm sorry you are going through this DoubleD, hopefully they can bounce back!
I'm honestly acting out of character. I was already irritated. I brought them up to room temp and put them back in, but I'm crossing my fingers. Most of them were fully developed, no movement when I candled them. Box Turtles are cold hardy, but I'm not sure about developing embryo.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
I'm honestly acting out of character. I was already irritated. I brought them up to room temp and put them back in, but I'm crossing my fingers. Most of them were fully developed, no movement when I candled them. Box Turtles are cold hardy, but I'm not sure about developing embryo.
Given the situation, I'd say you are acting accordingly. Had it been me, there would've been a few more special characters in my post lol. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya too!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I will pray and cross my fingers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet they're going to surprise you. Way long time ago, before I had even a teensy bit of knowledge, I put a clutch of box turtle eggs and a mud turtle egg on my bedroom closet shelf. No heat, not vry warm in there. A few months later I was looking for something and got up on a stool to look on that shelf, and lo and behold! ! Baby box turtles and a baby mud turtle!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I'll bet they're going to surprise you. Way long time ago, before I had even a teensy bit of knowledge, I put a clutch of box turtle eggs and a mud turtle egg on my bedroom closet shelf. No heat, not vry warm in there. A few months later I was looking for something and got up on a stool to look on that shelf, and lo and behold! ! Baby box turtles and a baby mud turtle!
They were a little colder than room temp, but this story gives me some hope. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had this happen with tortoises eggs. They all still hatched.

Turtles have shallow nests in the wild, and some very unexpected temperature swings have been recorded. I can't remember the species or location, but it was going from the 40s on a cold night, up to 129 on a hot summer day during the course of incubation.

Based on the above, I'll bet they still hatch just fine.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I've had this happen with tortoises eggs. They all still hatched.

Turtles have shallow nests in the wild, and some very unexpected temperature swings have been recorded. I can't remember the species or location, but it was going from the 40s on a cold night, up to 129 on a hot summer day during the course of incubation.

Based on the above, I'll bet they still hatch just fine.
Here's hoping. I know radiated go through diapause for the first leg of incubation.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I read somewhere that a drop in temperature like that regulates whether you have boys or girls. I had a little girl box turtle though with red eyes so that the cold or warmth may regulate a lot of other development also. Best wishes 🤞🤗😊🐢

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read somewhere that a drop in temperature like that regulates whether you have boys or girls. I had a little girl box turtle though with red eyes so that the cold or warmth may regulate a lot of other development also. Best wishes 🤞🤗😊🐢
In tortoises, incubating at the lower end of acceptable will get you mostly males. Incubating at the higher end of the range for a given species will get you mostly females. Right in the middle gets you 50/50.

A sudden drop in the middle of incubation will not affect temperature sex determination.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
In tortoises, incubating at the lower end of acceptable will get you mostly males. Incubating at the higher end of the range for a given species will get you mostly females. Right in the middle gets you 50/50.

A sudden drop in the middle of incubation will not affect temperature sex determination.
But maybe eye color? I'm still trying to figure out why I had a girl box turtle with red eyes.🤗