Uh oh, I've caught the tortoise bug!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Well, the title says it all. I have had spud for 4 months and dearly love him. Now I just NEED more. I really want a leopard, indian star or radiated. Oh and you can't forget the aldabra. My nan has a large bit of land and i really think that an aldabra would make it better, don't you? Before I got spud, my parents said that I could have one of my cousins leopard hatchlings if the eggs hatched. Here's what I'm wondering, is the deal still on now I have spud? I'm not going to bring it up until the eggs hatch (if ever) and hope for the best ;) however, of course I am thinking about what I will do with them when I move out so won't be able to get another any time soon lol.
Wish me luck anyway :D

So I guess what I'm asking is 1) how many torts do you have and 2) what's your next one going to be?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Two tortoises, if we're being technical :p
Hm... next tort would be... I do love the little pancake torts, but I don't think I'll venture into another tortoise anytime soon!
Best of luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just the one - and no plans to expand the family. I'm already thinking I may have to move to somewhere with a bigger garden for Lola. In fact may just buy a field and put a shed in it for me,

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Just the one - and no plans to expand the family. I'm already thinking I may have to move to somewhere with a bigger garden for Lola. In fact may just buy a field and put a shed in it for me,
Basic necessities, and she can have the field :p Perfect!

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Just like potato chips, no one can have just one. Oh yeah there is no cure for this bug.

Peytons torts

I used to have 11 but one of my newest Lydian Greek babies passed away from a really bad respiratory infection so now I have 10 I think my next one will probably be another female hermanns or a radiated hatchling

Lol and I'm only 14

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
They are a way of life lol. I had a dream of me moving out and I was putting everything in the van and then I sit in the front seat with my tortoise next to me. That's when I knew, I NEED a tortoise and got spud :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have just one and she takes up a great deal of my time and is worth every second.
I would like several more at some point.
An Archelon next I think.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Good gosh!
Stupendemys.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupendemys

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have an acre of land with my small house on it. There are 21 different tortoise yards and an uninhabited back yard (for rescues).

If you have enough space to give each species its own yard, a big enough yard that they don't feel confined, then go for it. However, if you're still young and you don't have your own place yet, I would be satisfied with what I have and don't expand until you have your own hunk of land.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I have an acre of land with my small house on it. There are 21 different tortoise yards and an uninhabited back yard (for rescues).

If you have enough space to give each species its own yard, a big enough yard that they don't feel confined, then go for it. However, if you're still young and you don't have your own place yet, I would be satisfied with what I have and don't expand until you have your own hunk of land.
Yeah, I won't expand my family of torts yet because 1) I don't have any more money as I spent it all in spud 2) I don't have the space and 3) my parents won't let me :l I will get more one day!!! However, spud is the only tort I ever need. :D

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have 5 leopards (1.1.3) and 4 Russians (1.3). I would like an adult female leopard another male Russian and 2 more females. Eventually I would really like Indian Stars as well. My husband has put his foot down at this time though, and I only have approval for the female leopard. Mostly because he doesn't think I can find one since I will only rescue/rehome or adopt.:rolleyes:
We will see.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I have 5 leopards (1.1.3) and 4 Russians (1.3). I would like an adult female leopard another male Russian and 2 more females. Eventually I would really like Indian Stars as well. My husband has put his foot down at this time though, and I only have approval for the female leopard. Mostly because he doesn't think I can find one since I will only rescue/rehome or adopt.:rolleyes:
We will see.
Oh if it means another tort, you WILL find one lol :D

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Hello, spudthetortoise!

Welcome to the forum. My name is Chloe; I currently own three Russian tortoises (two females and one male) and two Mediterranean Spur-Thighed tortoises (two sisters). In the near future, I am planning to get a sulcata. My biggest desire is to rescue an aldabra, but both species require a lot of research, thinking, commitment, and preparation!

I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Hugs,
Chloe