Bug eggs??

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hello everyone, recently I have found tiny white-ish brown coloured balls in my tortoise’s Grassland and Mazuri mix. I’m not exactly sure if it’s part of the pellet or something else. I’m also really worried that it might be bug eggs.

Michael Pineiro

Colorado
What size are the balls? Do you possibly have a picture? I know that some substrates are prone to containing mite eggs, which hatch after a couple of weeks. The mites are generally harmless though, based on my understanding.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Just throwing this idea out here for you to ponder. Those eggs might be from weevils that love dried food mixes, flour, cereal & I’m guessing dry tortoise food like Mazuri & Grassland chow.

I store my Maxuri in plastic containers inside our spare refridgerator.

Check out weevils & how to keep them away - https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/flour-bugs/

Good luck.

Hong Kong
What size are the balls? Do you possibly have a picture? I know that some substrates are prone to containing mite eggs, which hatch after a couple of weeks. The mites are generally harmless though, based on my understanding.
I’ll take a picture as soon as I get home, thanks for the reply!

Hong Kong
Greetings. Just throwing this idea out here for you to ponder. Those eggs might be from weevils that love dried food mixes, flour, cereal & I’m guessing dry tortoise food like Mazuri & Grassland chow.

I store my Maxuri in plastic containers inside our spare refridgerator.

Check out weevils & how to keep them away - https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/flour-bugs/

Good luck.
Thanks for the great advice, I’ll check out that website and see if it helps.

Hong Kong
Oh sorry, I don’t think the picture attached properly. Here’s another one.

Attachments

• E48E3D14-B5F9-4105-BB5F-CC5B18210E93.jpeg
    E48E3D14-B5F9-4105-BB5F-CC5B18210E93.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16