Tyson (my little monster ) pacing back and forth.

Crystal Green

I have 2 acres for tyson to wonder about. But at one part of the fence line, I noticed that he will pace back and forth all day till it is bed time. What should I do and should I be concerned ?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I have 2 acres for tyson to wonder about. But at one part of the fence line, I noticed that he will pace back and forth all day till it is bed time. What should I do and should I be concerned ?

I would check the fence and the area around it. See if you can find something that may be interesting to Tyson. Check for animal feces, etc. Other than that, sometimes my sullies would pace over an area of their fence because they sense it's the weakest area, and perhaps they feel they can bull doze it. They are usually right, but I'm smarter than they are. They find the weakest link, so to speak, and then I reinforce it! Ha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is Tyson a sulcata?

Does he have a heated night house? Where are you?

Is it chain link or some other fencing that he can see through, or is there a visual barrier?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very sorry, I can't help here. :( But I can say:

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Would you please post pictures of your tort asap? This would enable the experience to help you more easily.;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Perhaps, for some reason, he feels this is the most vulnerable part of his territory, perhaps he sees or senses another creature beyond and is defending his home?
Interesting

Seattlesky

Davis California
Ive noticed my baby sulcata doing the same, except he is obviously in a smaller contfolled environment. But be pace along the side of his encloser that is against the wall, so he doesnt really have anything to look at or tease him or her. So I suppose im asking the sae question

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Ive noticed my baby sulcata doing the same, except he is obviously in a smaller contfolled environment. But be pace along the side of his encloser that is against the wall, so he doesnt really have anything to look at or tease him or her. So I suppose im asking the sae question
Charlie does this on a regular basis. He paces next to the fence in our yard. I think he is patrolling his area, making sure there aren't any other sulcatas in his territory. I don't think he is looking for a way out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they patrol and defend their territory that's what tortoises do.if it was indoors it could be a sign of restlessness. if he can see through the fence he wants to get out. those are the best three behavior quirks I can think of.