Ari0413

Location (City and/or State)
Simpsonville
A woman I know didnt want her tortoises anymore. So, I told her I would take them. I made a huge enclosure for them inside my office. However, these tortoises are tiny! Way smaller than they should be for their age! They are around a year and a half old. They are only 3 inches! The shell on top is hard, the bottom of the shell has a little give. I haven't seen them eat yet. They were active during a warm soak, but they have not been since placing them in their enclosure. They dont seem to be dehydrated since their eyes arent sunken.

Oh and one has red patches under the shell near the hind legs. Please see the photos. I have never seen tortoises like this:(

20200218_133841.jpg20200218_134155.jpg20200218_134213.jpg20200218_133910.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would post pictures of your enclosure, substrate and include the lights that you have set up. Along with The temperature and humidity. Please keep them separate, they don't do well in pairs. There are many posts on pairs. Hopefully an expert will help you soon. Very pretty tortoises!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I very recently received an equally tiny, stunted Redfoot. And after months of "touch and go" it's doing pretty well....Eating and acting almost normal in it's new, forever home.
Just feed a correct diet, keep them hydrated and provide correct UV and warmth.
Hopefully they'll both recover, but tortoises not started out well generally don't survive.
The red marks may or may not be septicemia.
Let's just concentrate on getting them to eat for now.
I'd suggest a fast vet visit.
Best of luck.
This Redfoot was close to 2 years old and was smaller than a half dollar coin.
Today he is doing great.
Hopefully you'll have similar results.

Attachments

• 20191111_133211.jpg
    20191111_133211.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

Sa Ga

MN
I very recently received an equally tiny, stunted Redfoot. And after months of "touch and go" it's doing pretty well....Eating and acting almost normal in it's new, forever home.
Just feed a correct diet, keep them hydrated and provide correct UV and warmth.
Hopefully they'll both recover, but tortoises not started out well generally don't survive.
The red marks may or may not be septicemia.
Let's just concentrate on getting them to eat for now.
I'd suggest a fast vet visit.
Best of luck.
This Redfoot was close to 2 years old and was smaller than a half dollar coin.
Today he is doing great.
Hopefully you'll have similar results.
@ZEROPILOT , You are always SO nice and encouraging, Zero. Much appreciated! ❤

NoxidMullac

London
Thank goodness you have taken them on and will provide them with the care and attention they deserve. I am wishing every luck that they begin to thrive ?

Please keep us posted ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Also, check & monitor your ambient day & night temperatures. You will definitely want to create fully enclosed enclosures(with a lid) to keep both the heat & humidity levels where they should be. Not eating possibly ‘cause they are too cold.

If you havent found this info yet, here is the Bible :