two leopard tortoise together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psadasivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rockville, MD
Does anyone has baby leopards that are put together indoors. i have two baby leopards sharing 4*3*0.6 ft .

i am curious . is it ok to keep them together? what are your experiences?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most tortoises do better alone. However, leopards are one that has a better chance of sharing space then some others. Just keep and eye out for bullying or one growing much faster then the other, that also can be a sign of bullying. Also if one is very active and the other isn't. If any of these things happen or actual butting then be prepare to separate them and house them apart.
BTW, Hello and Welcome.
Toms great thread on raising healthy, smooth leopards is the third thread below in my post. They are must reads in my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience that babies, that is, tortoises a year old and under, do better when there are more than one together. This gives them competition for the food and seems to make them eat better. (I'd better hurry up and eat this before the others get it)

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I raised two juveniles together for years with no problems at all. I got a third as a rescue and they all get along great both inside during cold weather and outside in the yard.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
Just to add.. Looking at your specs they are in a tortoise table and from my own personal experience I witch ditch that ASAP!! Read some threads on closed chambers and you will be much more happy with your health and eventual appearance of your torts. I raised my sulcata in a table for six months and he never grew and developed dry skin. The only "positive" outcome I got from it is he didnt pyramid because he didnt grow. Once I put him in a closed chamber he started growing immediately and his dry skin went away. If you raise them in a tort table you are 100% going to get "ugly" pyramided torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
Most tortoises do better alone. However, leopards are one that has a better chance of sharing space then some others. Just keep and eye out for bullying or one growing much faster then the other, that also can be a sign of bullying. Also if one is very active and the other isn't. If any of these things happen or actual butting then be prepare to separate them and house them apart.

Barb summed up my thoughts the best here. Leopards pancakes, stars and red or yellowfoots, will usually get along just fine as a pair when they are babies. Sulcatas or any of the Testudo species often will not. Just my observations. Still there are likely to be some problems as they get older, so my preference is to raise them singly or in groups of three or more.

I also agree with rideburton87. The foot print of that enclosure is nice, but the low sides will allow all of your heat and humidity to escape into the room. A humid hide box, shell spraying and daily soaks for the first 6-8 months might help reduce the pyramiding, but in an open topped, low sided enclosure, all of the above won't eliminate it entirely. A closed chamber can help you maintain perfect conditions easily with a lot less electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.