Two BMT's from Vic Morgan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Hello All, I am so happy to introduce my new Black Mountain Torts, bred by Vic Morgan! They are healthy and kick'n straight from the box. They soaked, ate and did a walk about in their "nursery" and settled in some areas.

I just want to let all of you know that if you are looking to get a black or brown Burmese mountain turtle, it is really worth it to consider getting them from Vic . He sends a care sheet to you before you even get the Torts and personally goes over how to take care of your BMT's for your climate and situation. He has answered all my questions and then some.

Humidity is 99% temp 83F when picture taken. I think I got crazy with the moss. May take some out. Yeah, need to get bigger cork hides! These guys are 3 months old and over 3" dia. shell size.

Substrate loose spag moss at top, ground coco coir mixed with chopped spag moss at middle, next is a liner to separate the top soil from the bottom layer of water saturated hydro clay balls. (Seeing if this layered system will keep the humidity high for the li' dudes). A heat mat is taped under the tub with a temp gauge controler to keep them all cozy.
Thanks for look'n

:tort:

photo_zps83522c39.jpg

photo4_zps37b04046.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Congrats. Vic is a great guy. I dont think you have too much moss. Trust me they will use it.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
tortadise said:
Congrats. Vic is a great guy. I dont think you have too much moss. Trust me they will use it.

Yes I concur....Vic is awesome!:D Ok I will leave the moss in.
Thanks!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
I appreciate all your sweet comments. I have learned a lot in a short time from the great information on this forum.

I think it is really cool that there are others in So Ca with Vic's Torts too! (Hi Millerlite!) :cool:

I am enjoying these lovely BMTs, they eat, soak, sleep and poop well.

I like to thank the other forum members who posted about the different substrates and how to keep humidity constant in their tubs by using Lava rocks or Hydroton clay pebbles as a base substrate in water. This method really works!
Humidity 80-99% 1- 1/2 inch from the substrate. (the torts are not very tall)
Not too warm, not too cold. 70s-mid 80s F. Some slight temp gradient on areas of tub and bit higher at day and bit cooler at night overall.

Lots of strands of spag. moss to hide under. Thanks to tortadise recommendations they are in spag moss heaven.

Vic "trained" them to eat from a paper plate.... so I just continued on the method; clean up is easier, and they are less likely to be ingesting the substrate with the food.

The BMTs trampled, and very flat left overs goes into the compost/worm bin which I keep to feed the red wigglers for my Boxies.

Thanks All,

jwang1983

5 Year Member
janevicki said:
Hello All, I am so happy to introduce my new Black Mountain Torts, bred by Vic Morgan! They are healthy and kick'n straight from the box. They soaked, ate and did a walk about in their "nursery" and settled in some areas.

I just want to let all of you know that if you are looking to get a black or brown Burmese mountain turtle, it is really worth it to consider getting them from Vic . He sends a care sheet to you before you even get the Torts and personally goes over how to take care of your BMT's for your climate and situation. He has answered all my questions and then some.

Humidity is 99% temp 83F when picture taken. I think I got crazy with the moss. May take some out. Yeah, need to get bigger cork hides! These guys are 3 months old and over 3" dia. shell size.

Substrate loose spag moss at top, ground coco coir mixed with chopped spag moss at middle, next is a liner to separate the top soil from the bottom layer of water saturated hydro clay balls. (Seeing if this layered system will keep the humidity high for the li' dudes). A heat mat is taped under the tub with a temp gauge controler to keep them all cozy.
Thanks for look'n

photo_zps83522c39.jpg

photo4_zps37b04046.jpg

nice looking

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Outstanding setup!! You will fall in love with these guys.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Yes, Thanks Harris,
I am in love with these two BMT's. :p
However they seem to view me as the evil task master that puts them in the water dungeon every couple of days and takes out their beloved wilted food and exchange it with fresh ones. They are very wary of me. I guess it will take awhile before they get used to me.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
They will open up to you once they get to know you, mine come crawling to me and want to bite my hand lol. They are very fun toetoises to keep.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Millerlite said:
They will open up to you once they get to know you, mine come crawling to me and want to bite my hand lol. They are very fun toetoises to keep.

Aw, Thanks for the encouragement Millerlite!
I find the black mountain Torts, hilarious with their antics and when they eat. LOL!.

I guess they are still not sure yet about me. Not sure why it is taking so long. But I am not going to let that bother me.:cool:

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Stars said:
Black is beautiful :D

Wow! Look at those lovely EYES! Patrick, love to see more pictures of the rest of your new herd of BMT's and their enclosure.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
I had the same experience with my brown mt. being afraid of me after the misting and soaking. Once I saw that he would soak himself I let him choose when to get into his water dish. I still mist when he's not looking at me and he has lost his fear of me even when I have to pick him up. I keep my movements slow around him and to my surprise he seems to enjoy being gently handled on occasion. Maybe its just the warmth of my hand but he stretches out his neck and examines his surroundings with that neck throb that Vic says indicates a level of comfort. BTW he's just six months old. Got him at 20 days!
Good luck with your Bmt's. You are going to really enjoy growing them up!

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Nice Torts .
I have a male & female BRN MTN TORT .
Ive owned them for 1.5 yrs
They are very neat torts & grow very fast ,
They are a little shy at first but once they get to know you they will come running to meet you ,
My male was 3.5 inches & female was 3.0 inches ,
Now @ 2.5yrs of age my male is 5.0 inches & female is 4.0 inches,
Good luck on the Torts
MikeD,
:):tort:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My BMTs initially were shy of me but quickly figured out I meant food. Now when I approach with food or not they are up front watching for treats.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Thanks MikeD and ITort, LOL I know I just need to be patient with them and let then grow up more. The BMT's are so curious and of course adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.