They're here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
I got my Manouria emys phayrei, from Vic Morgan today, after months of dreaming and anticipation. They are sooooo neat! I can already see so much in them, from the way they communicate to one another with pulsing limb and head movements, the way they pulse those necks, when they are content, the fact that young specimens look as though they have a pliable shell, but they are actually rock hard....they are just so captivating.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Oh I agree. I'll never forget the day I first opened the box after receiving mine. I was just blown away. That prehistoric look.......The body armour......The 5th and 6th "legs". I can go on and on. Easily my favorite out of all of my collection.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Pictures will come, I promise. I just have to let them settle in and eat thier first meal, get warmed up and so forth. I just love them though and thier outdoor digs are gonna be a sight this summer!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
27572d1234665383-09-heritage-big-radius-big-sucker-fuelpak-help-this-thread-is-useless-without-pichers.jpg

LOL!!! I am anxious to see them ;)

Kristina

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
"Fifth and sixth legs?" Definitely we need some photos of that! :p

And that "request" photo is a hoot! Who are those people and are they related to you, Kristina? :rolleyes:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, no :) I saw it on another forum so I googled for it. It cracked me up when I saw it the first time, just had to share :)

(PS Stephanie, I posted more pics, had you in mind when I did it, and you didn't even comment!
AAAAArzSJrwAAAAAAD2Z6A.jpg

I am so dissapointed in you!!! ;) )

Kristina

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
kyryah said:
(PS Stephanie, I posted more pics, had you in mind when I did it, and you didn't even comment!
I am so dissapointed in you!!! ;) )
Kristina
[/quote]

Where? I missed it?! I have been teaching every day this week, and I don't have as much time to peruse my beloved TFO. :(

So go ahead, send me thither to the photos! ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
(Psssst, go look in the photos and videos section before we hijack this thread any farther!!! :D )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
t_mclellan said:
M. e. phayrei,
I seem to feel something .....
ENVY!!!

Well quit playing with the cactus and get your behind in gear with fixing that enclosure, then you have have some too! :p:D

biglove4bigtorts said:
I got my Manouria emys phayrei, from Vic Morgan today, after months of dreaming and anticipation. They are sooooo neat! I can already see so much in them, from the way they communicate to one another with pulsing limb and head movements, the way they pulse those necks, when they are content, the fact that young specimens look as though they have a pliable shell, but they are actually rock hard....they are just so captivating.
Glad they arrived all safe and sound!

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
You folks are a RIOT! I just luv that post with the refugee look-alikes...lol.
I have been working like a dog fixing that outdoor enclosure, but it rained yesterday and we got chilly weather again. I shoveled 5k of manure into the outdoor planting area already and tilled it in...next is some shredded hardwood mulch, securing the inner and outer perimeters, where the chainlink meets the ground and planting the goodies. I also built a rasied bed next to the one I built for the human veggies, just for tortoise food. It will be a couple of weeks before things are done, but I will snap some pix tomorrow of thier very simple indoor digs and of them...I am so excited to have them here....just luv em!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You are just teasing, aren't you? We wanna see pics!!! :D

Glad you thought we were funny, though, lol.

Kristina

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Ok, so I have the pix in my e-mail, that I took with an iphone, but I am clueless as to how to get them here. If someone can tell me how, I'll do it today. I went and got some odds and ends that I should have had ready, but I procrastenated:rolleyes:. I bought a $3, organic willow basket, cut the handle opening larger, truened it upside down, stuck some punches of faux fern in the weave and wa la...instant hide!!! They just loved it and were climbing over and through it immediatley after it was set up. I have them in a green, x-mas tree keeper sized tote with moistened coir as bedding. I have a 250 infared heat bulb, that I am swapping out for a cermic heat emitter, since I have both, I just wanted to watch the tors last night, without bugging them with lights. I misted them today and they have a shallow, terra cotta watrebowl and a round plastic dish for eating out of. I do have a fixture and flourescent UVB bulbs, but they are getting ambient light from my growing rack of African violets and are going outside as soon as the pen is done...next week or two I hope. I haven't bothered with the UVB yet, but might put it on this evening, just so I'm not rushed and they stay nice and healthy.

I bought some plants for the outdoor enclosure today and 20 bags of mulch to till into the veggie/weed beds and the pen that they will occupy outside. I can't wait to show everyone my tortoise paddock, when it is grown in this summer....it will be like nothing Pennsylvania has ever seen!!!! Palms, giant colocasias, banana trees, and a fig....yeah...it iwll be awesome....and all of it cold hardy.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Open the pics in your email and then save them to your hard drive. From there you can upload and post them here. I hope that helps.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
RE: They're here! PIX

Thanks....hope this works...here goes!

Attachments

• tort enclosure.jpg
    tort enclosure.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 57
  • torts.jpg
    torts.jpg