TWINS!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Damn, I was enjoying reading this thread until your losses were announced. Sorry for the losses Tom. It's been a very educational thread regardless of the sad outcome.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Damn, I was enjoying reading this thread until your losses were announced. Sorry for the losses Tom. It's been a very educational thread regardless of the sad outcome.
Ditto! So sorry, Tom! Do you think they had bled out internally? Or ... was there an organ sharing issue?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto! So sorry, Tom! Do you think they had bled out internally? Or ... was there an organ sharing issue?

I really don't know. Could be any number of possibilities. The rest of that clutch is doing really well and showing exceptional health and vigor. 34 out of the 35 eggs hatched and I think this is a record hatch for me. Most clutches are around 25-26 total, and usually about 20 of those will hatch. 33 live healthy hatchlings from one clutch is a lot for me. These babies were from Goldie who is a 8 or 9 year old 55 pound female. Daisy also had a large clutch that hatched around the same time, and all of her babies are exceptionally large, healthy and vigorous too.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I really don't know. Could be any number of possibilities. The rest of that clutch is doing really well and showing exceptional health and vigor. 34 out of the 35 eggs hatched and I think this is a record hatch for me. Most clutches are around 25-26 total, and usually about 20 of those will hatch. 33 live healthy hatchlings from one clutch is a lot for me. These babies were from Goldie who is a 8 or 9 year old 55 pound female. Daisy also had a large clutch that hatched around the same time, and all of her babies are exceptionally large, healthy and vigorous too.
Well good for you!!! 30-some eggs from one female???????????!!!!!! How do they fit all those eggs inside of such confined space???!!! That just blows my mind. Incredible! And all hatching out! Wow! Yet...,.... again, I feel very sad about you losing those babies. My sincere sympathy going your way, Tom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry Danny & Arnold didn't make it, what about the other one with a partial twin. If it's still kicken, in sticking with big Arnold movies, might I suggest naming it "Kuato" from the original "Total Recall."

Kuato is a great name for that one. It ditched its twin as part of the process of absorbing the yolk sac and closing up the umbilical scar. He was totally normal after that, so I sold him with the rest. Somebody out there has a tortoise named Kuato and doesn't know it!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm sorry you lost your twins, Tom! I was thinking they were going to make it. You certainly did everything possible.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sorry too. Adorable little torts. And also thank you for sharing. And for of the teaching you give. It must get annoying/frustrating/maddening some times, but I honestly believe you have saved and improved the lives of many, many torts.