1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Turtle with shell rot?

Discussion in 'Water turtles' started by AshleyFrench, Jan 12, 2020.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. AshleyFrench

AshleyFrench Member Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Idaho
    So I was perusing the pet store a couple of days ago, buying food for my lizard, and I always look at every single one of the animals that they have there because it entertains me. Haha.
    I went to go look at the turtles that are kind of hidden in the back by the fish and I saw a map turtle that had a large white spot on it. None of the other turtles had it of course and it didn’t seem normal. I’m just wondering if this is shell rot? I can go back and get a picture of it, if I need to. But there are four other turtles in with this one and I am curious if shell rot spreads through water? If anyone has anything to tell me, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It's hard for us to say as we have not seen the turtle. It doesn't sound like shell rot though.
  3. AshleyFrench

Idaho
    Okay. I can go take a picture the next time I go there.
  4. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    Shell fungus and shell rot are not exactly the same thing.
    The shell fungus that we mostly encounter in this hobby almost always shows up as a discoloration and breakdown of some of the shell plastron in certain spots. Shell fungus is quite simple to stop if caught early. Not serious.
    Full on shell ROT is much more advanced. It smells badly and has areas of dead tissue. Some times with holes or parts of the plastron raised or falling off. It is treated differently. It is serious.
    A white area on top of a shell could also be some type of fungus. But not the type that we commonly see. And not shell rot.
    A photo would be interesting.
    White spots aren't normal.
  5. AshleyFrench

Idaho
    Sweet. I’ll see if I can get it to you in the next couple of days.
    ZEROPILOT likes this.