Turtle skin and shell

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
2473D97E-6807-4AB9-9264-4D0D7A261913.jpeg 2473D97E-6807-4AB9-9264-4D0D7A261913.jpeg 7F3FB711-DC22-4722-AE57-BF89DD5297CC.jpeg 9A20E6D7-5502-41A3-A73F-EF408E6111CC.jpeg 83BC6087-7807-438F-A12D-53EA5086C4F7.jpeg can anyone tell me what is going on with my turtle? What I need to do to correct the problem. It started out looking like alge growing underneath scutes on his belly. I started giving him wheat germ to help him shed them. Now his skin seems dull and has a pink tinge to it.
He is still basking and eating as normal. And I can’t walk by the tank without him begging for food.
He has a 65 gallon tank with about 55 gallons of water in it.
His water temp is 73 degrees, basking spot is is 107 in the hottest spot and 90 in the coolest. He has acces to uvb. He has two fluval u4 filters and a fluval u3.
His diet consists of many turtle pellet brands and lots of leafy greens. I also have platies in the tank that he eats from time to time. The fish eat tropical fish food.
Hopefully someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong. He is acting normal and hasn’t lost any weight.
The pics we’re taking after I dry docked him a few hours and did a 50 percent water change

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Water turtles do shed skin and scutes occasionally. They also grow slimy stuff on them when being kept in dirty water. If you think its fungus you can add a couple tablespoons of salt per each 5 gallons of water.

@Markw84

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I don't have any words of wisdom for you. Water turtles do shed skin and scutes occasionally. They also grow slimy stuff on them when being kept in dirty water. If you think its fungus you can add a couple tablespoons of salt per each 5 gallons of water.

@Markw84
Thanks. I’m gonna try the salt. I think the stuff growing is between old scutes and new scutes. Gonna try to dry dock him a few hours a day to aid with shedding.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
View attachment 265434 View attachment 265434 View attachment 265435 View attachment 265436 View attachment 265437 can anyone tell me what is going on with my turtle? What I need to do to correct the problem. It started out looking like alge growing underneath scutes on his belly. I started giving him wheat germ to help him shed them. Now his skin seems dull and has a pink tinge to it.
He is still basking and eating as normal. And I can’t walk by the tank without him begging for food.
He has a 65 gallon tank with about 55 gallons of water in it.
His water temp is 73 degrees, basking spot is is 107 in the hottest spot and 90 in the coolest. He has acces to uvb. He has two fluval u4 filters and a fluval u3.
His diet consists of many turtle pellet brands and lots of leafy greens. I also have platies in the tank that he eats from time to time. The fish eat tropical fish food.
Hopefully someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong. He is acting normal and hasn’t lost any weight.
The pics we’re taking after I dry docked him a few hours and did a 50 percent water change
I keep mud turtles, not the type you have, so I have no wisdom or experience to share.
But I wanted to say, it sounds like your setup is GREAT!!! :) I see NO FAULT in your husbandry!!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Rex1718 I see nothing wrong with the look of your turtle skin and shell. It does look like it is just beginning a shedding cycle. The only thing I see that I think you are referring to is the edges of the skin starting to loosen between the scales on the legs. When they dry out, it looks worse as the older top layer of skin dries and starts to pull away. They can certainly get algae start to grow under the loosening scutes on their shells. Especially with good UVA/UVB exposure. In my pond outside, my cooters can get quite an algae growth starting by the time they shed and look perfectly clean again!

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Thank y’all for the replies. Glad to know there isn’t anything wrong with Bruno.