Turtle Care

fallintotheskyy

Hey every one if had my turtle for about 2 weeks now he is a desert box turtle he seems ro be eating well but hes only been eating meel worms seems to love them. I cant seem to get him to eat any greens though. Im really juat looking for advice as into making sure im properely taking care of him thanks guys

Attachments

• 1413045705269.jpg
    1413045705269.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 27

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I will chop up fruits and veggies/greens into very tiny pieces and place a pile of this on a plastic lid. Then I'll wet the worms and put them on top of the pile. The turtle will get used to the taste of the fruits and veggies as they stick to the worms and eventually will eat it without the worms.

You may not want to do this, but I have had good luck getting reluctant box turtles to eat by not feeding them for a while...a week or more. Then I'll put a dollop of the chopped up veggies that I'm feeding the tortoises onto the box turtle feeding tile. They are so hungry that they will eat it readily.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You can also chop up as Yvonne suggested and mix them up with some soaked mashed up reptomin pellets. That's how I get babies to eat veggies.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Offer overripe fruits. Box turtles are omnivores, so don't be afraid to offer a great variety.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
no. actually with boxies a good portion of their diet can be fruits.

fallintotheskyy

Anygood ways to keep the smell down from his cage its very intense and i shouldnt have to clean it more than once a week his cage only contains water in his dish

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Pebbles and rocks are not a good substrate. Substrate needs to have depth for burrowing & hold a bit of moisture. Try coconut coir. You won't have a cleaning problem or smell with a proper substrate.

Magilla504

Try peat moss and cypress mulch. At the hardware store a bag of peat moss is about 10 dollars. Goes a long way

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Might be a good idea to bake your coconut coir or organic soil, peat moss, or any other leaves, sticks,....etc. before you add to your indoor enclosure. Gets rid of any unwanted insects, larvae, eggs in your substrate.