turtle and tortoise training

Pearl Patil

Location (City and/or State)
gujrat
hey, I was going through this site and I found people telling me that they have trained their tortoise. can u tell me how should I train mine? whatever question u have. I will surely answer u

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I do not have a question. I'd just like to point out that I tried to train my tort endlessly. However, I'm afraid I did not get anywhere. I came to conclude that torts cannot be trained. They only run for food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most so called training is really just the tort coming because you are the food god
Like my fish who come to the front of the glass all excited when they see me. It's not because I trained them, it's because they think they are getting more food.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
However...they can be trained to go into their hide every night, Bob was trained to play ball with a 5 gallon bucket...he was 'trained' to enter a wheelbarrow, the "Bob cart" ...and he would exit the cart into the truck bed. Bob was 'trained' to do most things thru repetition..."trained"? not sure but he acted trained

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
However...they can be trained to go into their hide every night, Bob was trained to play ball with a 5 gallon bucket...he was 'trained' to enter a wheelbarrow, the "Bob cart" ...and he would exit the cart into the truck bed. Bob was 'trained' to do most things thru repetition..."trained"? not sure but he acted trained
I just got through telling people you're having computer trouble, and yet, here you are??????????

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Just my 2 cents..............I've mentioned before that I attempted the same thing with a Caiman in the mid-70's. While not a pro by any means, then or now, I did grow up in a family of smart folks.....and educators so applying scientific method, I tried various techniques over the course of more than a year.

My personal conclusions were that a creature that evolved 240 million years ago give or take, and is relatively unchanged today is Instinct driven by necessity! Evidently, there was little room for "feelings" and emotions back then............I'm pretty sure that our little friends evolved around the same time period.

Best of luck though and please post up w/ your results!!

jeff

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I don't know if you could call it training, but we take Zola out in the car every day, at about the same time, and have done for many years - when we get to the side of the car, my husband holds Zola in a particular way, and Zola pees by the car - almost always. I greatly appreciate it, as I have him on my lap in the car. It was't something we actually taught him, more that he chose to do it, and has learned that it is a good thing to do !
Angie

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
hey, I was going through this site and I found people telling me that they have trained their tortoise. can u tell me how should I train mine? whatever question u have. I will surely answer u
I have a bit of experience with this. I believe you can teach and they can learn based on the reward system. Last week I made a ramp onto the bed. Of course Saftey is priority one but after I worked that out I had him watch me move my female up the corse. After a week he mastered up and down. It depends on how you perceive it but it challenges new activity and I believe that their mental health is as important as physical. Whatever ppl think my tortoise is well cared for as nearly 30 years of care indicates. But all differ. My female is less interested and so. As I text Duckster came up to me. To visit. To explore. I think that is cool.