Tucson Ongoing Habitat

DesertRussian

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson AZ
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member living in Tucson, AZ. I am eager to create a lush outdoor environment for my new Russian, Marvin, 25+. I have been transplanting spurge and purslane throughout the enclosure and he is reality eating them both, with some preference for the purslane. I have also planted some native grasses, Bamboo Muhly because it was a desert tortoise recommended plant, after I spoke with vets from Orange Grove Animal Hospital who said to lean towards grasses for a Russian tortoise. I've also planted one feather grass in the enclosure, it is just for screening and hiding at this point, not much for forage value. I wish I had take pictures yesterday before I ripped all the crab grass out of the enclosure. It wasn't being eaten at all, and I was concerned it would be hard to remove if I waited any longer. It was very useful, however for camouflaging the spurge and purslane, because after the bermuda was gone, Marvin had a feast! All of the plantings are only to be supplemental, he gets fresh greens everyday, and loves the flowers from desert willow trees. I look forward to any feedback and hope this can help owners in the southwest raise their Russians outdoors.

Also I am looking for a pair of females to add to an expansion of the enclosure, if anyone has recommendations of who to reach out to I would be grateful! Thanks all.
IMG_4184.jpgIMG_4185.jpgIMG_4186.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings....not sure why you would have ripped up the crab grass. It’s not dangerous & provides some greens already growing & helping the top few inches of your enclosure. But.. too late now!

Id lower the water dish too ??? but, seriously, i don’t really see a sunken water hole anywhere or a nice dark hidey hole area for Mr Martin to hide in out of the hot AZ baking sun.

keep the updates coming!

DesertRussian

Tucson AZ
Thanks Mark! Yes I forgot to mention that the burrows are still under construction but the habitat is on the east side of the house under a massive tree so plenty of shade in the afternoon with some small areas for refuge. Yes the crab grass looked beautiful, but I am growing dichondra to replace it, more water use, but it won't overgrow and shade out the forbs. Added a water dish now!