Tubs of water in the tort house, does it really make a difference?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Quite a few of you with larger sulcata and leopard tortoises use big tubs or open jugs of water inside the heated tortoise house/shed to increase humidity. Does this really make a difference?

I haven't put water inside of my insulated tortoise house before. I just put a jug in there today and plan to recording readings. But I'd like your thoughts please... :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes it helps . I have two big water bowels in my hide . It stays at fifty present humidity . With no water it is only twenty percent humidity . Unless its a rainy day .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know about humidity, but when I kept two 55 gallon barrels of water under the shelf in my green house, it really helped to keep it warm in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom uses some jugs or something with water in them to add humidity. I would safely assume it does help. I haven't done that yet to my shed. However, I do have a lot of plants about 15 and water dishes, 3 of them so, it does add some humidity. I'm sure it would do better in a smaller enclosure though.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hmm... Well I only put in a gallon of water so far and right now the reading is 43%RH. I don't think the number has stabilized yet though..

Now it reads 34%...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't add any extra humidity to the 2 adult sulcata winter houses, They add enough themselves.:D almost daily. My garage is a different story, I have some manouria and yellowfoots in there. I have several pans of water on the floor and a pan of water setting on an electric oil heater. The main heat is from a heat pump with vents in the ceiling, and several heat mats made from ceramic tiles below the cypress mulch.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Dropped to 27% RH with my gallon of water in there.. so I guess I need to decide.
Either find a way to increase the humidity or leave it as is. Hmm...

Right now I have hay as the heated tort house substrate (also drying, right?).
Maybe I should consider a more earthy substrate I can keep damp.. Use a liner to protect the wood then add some damp soil I can occasionally spay? Thoughts?

Just a reminder, this is for a Leopard tortoise that I've raised smooth in a humid chamber. He is now almost 2 years old and over 6".

Isn't it funny....you finally get the care down pat for one age group/size only to have to learn the new stage once they grow into the next phase.. Oy. I feel like a noob again :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think I'm going to try the soil substrate in the house...
Anyone else use dirt? Or know of any negative side effects to this in an outdoor house? I can't imagine there are any...

Well, I guess I'll try it and let you know how it goes..lol.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've seen some online that don't even have floors in there enclosure . They just build them on a higher part of the yard I guess . When I went out to Kelly's place he has big barns with no floors . His big sulcatas look great and it is colder in Dallas than in Houston wgere I live . I can't remember the site I was on . But the guy had had like three big barns with no floors and he had pictures if the sulcatas in the snow . I think I just typed in outdoor tortoise house .

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Today I pulled out the hay, lined the bottom with a plastic liner and put in some clean top soil. The digital hydrometer read 30% RH out of the box and within a few minutes of putting it in the tort house it jumped to 35%. I'll check it a few times over the next few hours.
I have no idea if this will work. Maybe if I periodically spray the dirt?

I think is be happy with 50-60%RH in there. The oil radiator is set on thermostat to 81F.

We'll see...looks like I'm in experimenting mode :)

With the hay
1389033544630.jpg

Liner
1389033461937.jpg
1389033474239.jpg

Dirt
1389033491851.jpg
1389033502171.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Might try adding a layer of coco coir on top of the soil. It holds moisture well and does not mold.

Glancing at your picture it seems like the tortoise might be able to reach the wires hanging from the receptacle. Might not be a factor.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would also wonder if the tort will rub against or scratch at the walls and catch that tape and pull it up along with the plastic? I am so OCD about that kinda stuff :D:D

Also, did you leave the lids on the water jugs you used? have you considered running a humidifier in there since you are wanting to increase the humidity?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have moss as a substrate for my sullies. I put it into their tubs which sit on the kane blankets. Because the blanket is their first source of heat, it can get dry for them. I wet the moss, ring it out, and put it back in. The humidity levels have been between 60-70% with a humidifier. Mind you, I have a heater set at 81 degrees, their basking lamps 100/160w, and their blankets. I believe that's all the heat they need especially on really cold days. But, with all that heat comes dryness. So, that's why I have a 5 gal bucket of water, a humidifier, and the sprayed down moss. They are happy since I haven't changed too much from when they were babies. The humidity is lower, but acceptable at this point. On really dry days, I may add another humidifier in the shed.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's 61% RH while 81F right now. So far so good! I took out the jug of water when I pulled the hay. It was a cut open jug with a wide opening on top.

I like the ideas of topping the soil. I think I will as either some coir, moss or mulch on top.

The cord hangs just above the biggest one, for now.. Eventually I plan to move everything higher and contain it in a box.

I tried to tape the liner above the tortoise in hopes he won't catch it... I'll have to re do it if he does. Any other tips to try in case that happens?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Tubs of water in the tort house, does it really make a difference?

Team Gomberg said:
Hmm... Well I only put in a gallon of water so far and right now the reading is 43%RH. I don't think the number has stabilized yet though..

Now it reads 34%...

The key is water surface area not volume. Try large tray instead of jug.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks for that tip mike. I didn't know that.

I am limited on floor space and didn't include shelves. If the dirt idea doesn't work out I might try the shelf idea/tray of water.

So far it's remaining between 60 and 64%RH

mikeh

5 Year Member

Team Gomberg said:
Thanks for that tip mike. I didn't know that.

I am limited on floor space and didn't include shelves. If the dirt idea doesn't work out I might try the shelf idea/tray of water.

So far it's remaining between 60 and 64%RH

If you can figure out to place the tray securely above the radiator it will further enhance waters evaporation and higher humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
I tried to tape the liner above the tortoise in hopes he won't catch it... I'll have to re do it if he does. Any other tips to try in case that happens?

Screw some 2x4s to the wall at that level.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Tom said:
Team Gomberg said:

Ooooooh.. :shy:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
Tom said:
Team Gomberg said:

Ooooooh.. :shy:

Staple guns work too.