Trying our harness for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
One of my cats has too much energy and isn't getting enough exercise I guess, he is a Bengal mix so he's real active and one of my friends gave me a harness for him.

This is panthro

null_zps786aaaab.jpg

He's a scaredy cat and hated the harness, until I put the leash on it too, then he calmed down but started attacking the leash.

null_zpsfe0c2c7d.jpg

null_zps4722bd89.jpg

We didn't go outside yet, I don't want to freak him out too much, he's a very anxious cat and stresses a lot around new people, so step by step till he's used to the leash and harness then we will go for a nice long walk haha.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about walking him, but I know a few people that do put their cat on a harness and long leash and attach the leach to a clothes line. The cats love it and can run the length of the line. Good luck with your training. I have a full Bengal. He was a maniac when younger. He is now sixteen and has only spurts of craziness now.

BTW, cute cat

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Haha the walk is more just for laughs, my coworker harassed me about it so now I am going to for pictures. The exercise plan is really just to let him in the back yard with me. Plus I am going to build some cat trees and the like when I build my new indoor enclosures, mainly to keep them distracted from the torts haha Plus we play fetch everyday. He's almost 2 years old so still really active.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Have you seen 'My Cat From Hell' on Animal Planet? Quite a few of the troublesome cats are part Bengal and have behavioral issues from so much energy....usually the episode ends with the Cat Whisperer guy getting the owner to take the cat on walks and boom! Problem solved! Happy kitty!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
haha yes I have, it is actually what gave me the idea that I should.

He is very well behaved but that is mainly because hes kind of a scaredy cat..... plus I try to wear him out every day anyway, he loves to play fetch with sticks or balls, and we play with the laser pointer a lot too.

He really acts more like a dog than my room mate's dog does haha, he follows me everywhere and when I leave for work he either hides under my blankets or waits by the front door.

I don't know how much you watch that show but one of them he suggests a cat wheel, similar to a gerbil wheel but much bigger. I am probably going to get one of those as well.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
jjsull33 said:
haha yes I have, it is actually what gave me the idea that I should.

He is very well behaved but that is mainly because hes kind of a scaredy cat..... plus I try to wear him out every day anyway, he loves to play fetch with sticks or balls, and we play with the laser pointer a lot too.

He really acts more like a dog than my room mate's dog does haha, he follows me everywhere and when I leave for work he either hides under my blankets or waits by the front door.

I don't know how much you watch that show but one of them he suggests a cat wheel, similar to a gerbil wheel but much bigger. I am probably going to get one of those as well.

Hahaha I saw those cat wheels! They never seem to show if the cat ends up using it or not...let me know if it works for you!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I think that he will hate it at first, and he refuses treats as well, so I will probably use the laser pointer to lure him into it haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.