A Harness for WalkingRock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
I have had this "vision" running thru my head for sometime now about a Harness for WalkingRock. The purpose for such a thing is 2 fold.

One: A Harness to secure him in the back of the truck (4 corners) so he doesn't slide around and double as a "Seatbelt" in case of accidents.

Two: It will be equipped with 4 handles for easy carrying. (secured from underneath)

I have designed one that should work ok but before I invest in all that leather, about 6 sq feet (It will look VERY MUCH like Leather Armor). I was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of such a thing. I would like to see a couple (if possable) of other designs before I start this project

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have no experience here.......but would a dog crate not work too....and be less expensive?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I have no suggestions, but am very excited to see what contraptions you and others come up with. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just transport mine in big cement mixing tubs. I would not want him secured at all four corners in the back of a truck like that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought you were going to hook him upto a cart and have him pull the poop and clippings for ya. I had actually seen a picture of this somewhere, but couldn't find it.
I would also suggest a cage for the back of the truck. If an accident were to happen, he would have a better chance of less injuries if he were in a cage, just my thought. You could do the harness for your other reasons probably cheaper and easier if you went with the thicker nylon straps.
What ever you decide, you must share pics, with him in it:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
wellington said:
I thought you were going to hook him upto a cart and have him pull the poop and clippings for ya. I had actually seen a picture of this somewhere, but couldn't find it.
I would also suggest a cage for the back of the truck. If an accident were to happen, he would have a better chance of less injuries if he were in a cage, just my thought. You could do the harness for your other reasons probably cheaper and easier if you went with the thicker nylon straps.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RwXqEzr_4[/video]

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tom said:
I just transport mine in big cement mixing tubs. I would not want him secured at all four corners in the back of a truck like that.

This will be more than just an apperatus for transport.

I want to be able to leave it on him for a period of time (so it needs to be fashionable), and he should be able to move about in it without it hindering his movement in any way...unless it (the harness) is secured to somthing, (also acting as a tether to restrict movement when in puplic).

I am curiuos as to why you would use a concrete mixing tub to transport but not secure it in the back of your truck? Isn't all that sliding around dangerous?... or more specifically, Why not secure him to the 4 corners of the truck?

jaizei said:
I've seen this.... it is what started the whole vision in the 1st place!;)

for those not aware of it.... I get these visions when it's time for me to "Get Creative".... My last vision was of my Twin Enclosure project....and it turned out great!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jaizei said:
wellington said:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8RwXqEzr_4[/video]

Ha, thanks, that's the one:D

Zamric said:
Tom said:

This will be more than just an apperatus for transport.

I want to be able to leave it on him for a period of time (so it needs to be fashionable), and he should be able to move about in it without it hindering his movement in any way...unless it (the harness) is secured to somthing, (also acting as a tether to restrict movement when in puplic).

I am curiuos as to why you would use a concrete mixing tub to transport but not secure it in the back of your truck? Isn't all that sliding around dangerous?... or more specifically, Why not secure him to the 4 corners of the truck?

jaizei said:
I've seen this.... it is what started the whole vision in the 1st place!;)

for those not aware of it.... I get these visions when it's time for me to "Get Creative".... My last vision was of my Twin Enclosure project....and it turned out great!

I have a vision, I think it was meant for you. It was of you, you were very creative. You were in Chicago, in my back yard. You were building something. Oh, that's right, Tatums big boy outdoor enclosure:p :D

Oh, I almost forgot. You had those two beautiful leopards with you and you told me to keep them, you just didn't have time for them any more:cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a van, not a pick up. There is not much room to slide in their tubs. Barely enough room to turn around. They mostly just sit still when I'm driving.

My issue with tying them off to four points would be that they can't turn in place, and they would never stop trying. In the tubs, they can turn all they want, but they can't climb out. It's a nice way to contain the mess too. I just hose off the tortoise and tub once I arrive.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tom said:
I use a van, not a pick up. There is not much room to slide in their tubs. Barely enough room to turn around. They mostly just sit still when I'm driving.

My issue with tying them off to four points would be that they can't turn in place, and they would never stop trying. In the tubs, they can turn all they want, but they can't climb out. It's a nice way to contain the mess too. I just hose off the tortoise and tub once I arrive.

hmmmm never thought of the "turning around issue"

ponder...
ponder...
ponder...:shy:

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
wellington said:
I have a vision, I think it was meant for you. It was of you, you were very creative. You were in Chicago, in my back yard. You were building something. Oh, that's right, Tatums big boy outdoor enclosure:p :D

Oh, I almost forgot. You had those two beautiful leopards with you and you told me to keep them, you just didn't have time for them any more:cool:

WOW! that was some vision!....did you,by chance, have mushrooms in your salad tonight?:p

ascott said:
(also acting as a tether to restrict movement when in puplic).

lol...now this, either very amusing or not so nice....

we are planning a possable move to Davis Calafornia. it will be a long car ride for the boy and I think he should be able to get out and walk around a little, it would be really nice to stake him in a park when camping overnight or rest stop and enjoy some lunch without constantly supervising a 100 lb bulldozer!:p

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
If your rest stops are anything like ours, you probably don't want him grazing there...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cameron, you are absolutely amazing! You either have an excellent memory, or the best search engine in the world. You ALWAYS come up with the link or the picture.

And Zamric: I would think it would be better to use that woven strapping material rather than leather.

When I put a big tortoise in the bed of my truck I just leave them free in there. They don't slide around and they can't climb out.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
can't you glue something like rubber mat to the floor of the van,that might stop him sliding so much

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I use Lg Rubbermaid containers for transporting them ....It holds them tight so they can't move around and they feel secure ..as a plus they contain any accidents and can be washed out..

Status
Not open for further replies.